26,000 light years away

My Homeland - St.Catherines Down; not the Milky Way! Even when I was a little kid (1950's) I puzzled how they knew about space travel all that time ago (when they built the Pepperpot) - a youngster's mind eh?

Good one Ainsley :)

Looks brilliant. Well done.
Should be printed large and will look on any wall.

It is a very good image, however just to go against the grain a bit, I find the milky way and sky a bit bright to be honest.

Who the hell do you think you are coming in here with shots like that............This place is full of amateurs........Hurridly selling their cameras:naughty:

Fantastic shot mate. But and its a big but.......Your gonna have to give us mere mortals a few tips on processing. You've brought out some cracking colours.

Cheers guys. Sirch, understand where your coming from, I used a 50mm lens for this shot focusing on the milky way core which is the brightest area of the visible milky way making the image look brighter than the normal wideangle shots we tend to see:)
mattyg, I used a Nikon d800 and Nikon 50mm 1.8G, settings were 13 seconds at ISO5000, f/2 and processed purely in lightroom. just increased the lights on the curve adjustment and added contrast and highlight adjustments to the milky way and sky. I lightened the foreground slightly, tweaked the white balance a little and I think I actually desaturated the colours in the image as they looked unnatural:)

As has been said, wonderful (y)

Cheers guys. Sirch, understand where your coming from, I used a 50mm lens for this shot focusing on the milky way core which is the brightest area of the visible milky way making the image look brighter than the normal wideangle shots we tend to see:)
mattyg, I used a Nikon d800 and Nikon 50mm 1.8G, settings were 13 seconds at ISO5000, f/2 and processed purely in lightroom. just increased the lights on the curve adjustment and added contrast and highlight adjustments to the milky way and sky. I lightened the foreground slightly, tweaked the white balance a little and I think I actually desaturated the colours in the image as they looked unnatural:)

I've never thought about using a 50mm like that. I did read about using a 50mm and taking 20+ shots for a MF look. And some of those shots I've seen look impressive.

Not sure I'll get much chance this year now before its too late

Great stuff.

If I were to be a tiny bit pedantic I'd point out that there appears to be a bit of a halo around the edges of the tower. I can't tell whether it's a genuine effect - ie the milky way in the background is just a little brighter in those areas - or whether it's an artefact of the processing. But now I've seen it, unfortunately I can't unsee it.

Great composition although I would maybe have opened the frame up a bit more? Post processing is spot on though - nice! :)
Thanks Bardo, I've shot this location so many times with wide angles I thought I would try my 50mm:)

Great stuff.

If I were to be a tiny bit pedantic I'd point out that there appears to be a bit of a halo around the edges of the tower. I can't tell whether it's a genuine effect - ie the milky way in the background is just a little brighter in those areas - or whether it's an artefact of the processing. But now I've seen it, unfortunately I can't unsee it.
I think the lighter edge is due to my post processing, I notice it myself now and will sort:)

Yes - like that!
Love that the building looks like an ancient stone rocket too:)
The halo is a little distracting though as mentioned earlier.

Back