27.04.08 Silverstone

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
Yes
Was at Silverstone with the Monoposto Racing Club. Was granted press access for this event.

My interests were two quali sessions and two race sessions.

Qualifying 1)
At the end of the back straight, before entering the Luffield complex.
IMG_0999.jpg

IMG_1031.jpg

Qualifying 2)
Outside of Luffield
slow shutter speed
IMG_1370.jpg

IMG_1389.jpg

Race 1)
Copse for the start...
IMG_1513.jpg

(My 1.4TC refused to play ball which was a bit limiting!)

Race 2)
Was hoping to get down to Maggots/Becketts but the Marshalls said that because the National and Southern Circuits were being used at the same time I couldn't so went back to outside the BARC building, but moved during the session to the bank before one of the bridges on the back straight.

IMG_1841.jpg

IMG_1897.jpg

IMG_1928.jpg

Rain was threatened but never came. Thanks for looking. Marshalls friendly.

This was also the first event I'd used the AF-on button to seperate focussing from metering. Took a bit of getting used to...

Great shots! Glad to see you had more luck with getting outside the BRDC building than I did, even though I'd signed on as press the marshall there wouldn't let me. It must seem to be who you spoke too as I was on the inside at Maggots and got another photog on the outside of the corner in my shots...

I'll try to get some of mine posted later on.

I wanted to go to outside of Maggots but Marshalls wouldn't let me, so I trekked back to outside of Copse, then went infield to the BRDC building for race 2.

I meant to take my bike but I had a problem with one of the gearshifters and it kept throwing a chain. Taking another vehicle just adds quite a bit to the logistics as we're already taking a towcar, trailer, the race car, plus pit equipment and spares.

Nice shots. I agree about the mini stig shot! Apart from the marshalls stopping u going certain areas, did u enjoy being trackside? How did you brother do?

TBH it was a bit daunting for a first time (but I could get used to it). I've only posted a few sample shots as I've not really had time to sort through them all.

We qualified in 5th (2nd in class) with the car suffering from understeer. We had to bed in some new brake discs during this session as well, so the first 3 or 4 practise laps were at a reduced pace bedding these discs in.

Adjusted front wing by 3 clicks to try and dial out understeer. Reset tyre pressures as they had risen with the heat of the day (normal practise). Top up fuel, check oil & coolant.

He got good start and jumped to 3rd position but the car was handling like a pig and was now very twitchy and oversteery so it was a question of wrestling the car around the circuit. Managed to stay in 3rd (1st in class) despite a 360 degree spin. Winner was 40 seconds up the road. 2nd place 3.5seconds ahead, us 3rd, 4th 0.6s behind.

Still it means our lead in the championship has extended and we have a 16 point cushion between us and the next person (15 points for a win). Next race is at Mallory Park on the bank holiday monday at the end of May.

TBH it was a bit daunting for a first time (but I could get used to it). I've only posted a few sample shots as I've not really had time to sort through them all.

We qualified in 5th (2nd in class) with the car suffering from understeer. We had to bed in some new brake discs during this session as well, so the first 3 or 4 practise laps were at a reduced pace bedding these discs in.

Adjusted front wing by 3 clicks to try and dial out understeer. Reset tyre pressures as they had risen with the heat of the day (normal practise). Top up fuel, check oil & coolant.

He got good start and jumped to 3rd position but the car was handling like a pig and was now very twitchy and oversteery so it was a question of wrestling the car around the circuit. Managed to stay in 3rd (1st in class) despite a 360 degree spin. Winner was 40 seconds up the road. 2nd place 3.5seconds ahead, us 3rd, 4th 0.6s behind.

Still it means our lead in the championship has extended and we have a 16 point cushion between us and the next person (15 points for a win). Next race is at Mallory Park on the bank holiday monday at the end of May.

He did well on what sounds a difficult a weekend.

He is preparing some footage from the onboard camera (which worked for a change) which shows the difference between the qualifying setup (seemingly nice and easy to drive) and the race setup (arms everywhere). Even adjusting anti-roll bars and brake bias in-car during the race failed to improve things.

You should be able to get to the exit of Becketts when both tracks are in use. It's not too bad for a race shot. Other than that, some good shots from a really dull track to shoot at. Maybe some people or paddock shots?

Looks like you had some fun?

Interesting to hear your race report, glad your still in the honours.

Nice use of the banking to remove the dull and boring bits of Silverstone, will make you a trackside snapper if you carry on like that.

Shaun

Yes, had fun - Silverstone wasn't the most inspiring circuit...

In regards to getting to the exit of Becketts, the marshalls were insistant that it was "red-zoned", and I was working on the "marshalls are always right" rule of thumb...

Back