27 inch monitors

Name
Pete
Edit My Images
No
Hi,
I am looking at investing in a new 27 inch monitor for work and particularly photo editing in my own time. The photo editing is mainly of people, sports and some landscape shots. This will be to accompany the purchase of a Canon 7D Mk2 or an 80D the 2 options I am considering at the Moment are a Dell Ultrasharp and the Lenovo P27Q - Does anyone have a view or preference between them? Both should be solid business options is my understanding.

Hi,
I am looking at investing in a new 27 inch monitor for work and particularly photo editing in my own time. The photo editing is mainly of people, sports and some landscape shots. This will be to accompany the purchase of a Canon 7D Mk2 or an 80D the 2 options I am considering at the Moment are a Dell Ultrasharp and the Lenovo P27Q - Does anyone have a view or preference between them? Both should be solid business options is my understanding.

I've got no experience with Lenovo screens in the realm of what you are looking for, simply my Lenovo T400 series laptop. However, I will happily recommend Dell Ultrasharps all day long! Got 6 of them, 3 at work and 3 at home.

Am also just about to buy a new monitor.

Have been debating between the Dell U2715H, Dell UP2716D and the BenQ SW2700PT can't decide which one to go for any help appreciated. Is there any others I should be looking at?

just buy the i-mac 27inch with 5k yes 5k
edit away till your hearts content

just buy the i-mac 27inch with 5k yes 5k
edit away till your hearts content

Why, Mac OS is pants? The hardware is really low spec even on the highest end option and the iMac monitors aren't very good.

I recently bought a Dell U2715H - very pleased with it, just have to keep fighting my wife for use of the computer now!!

I recently bought a Dell U2715H - very pleased with it, just have to keep fighting my wife for use of the computer now!!

I have quite a few of the U2515H monitors in our office and the U2715H was the one I first looked at but it's older tech now.

I am looking as well. Liked the look of the BenQ but these is a new one out soon which might be nice (depending on budget) - the SW271. Early reviews seem good, but think will be pricey.

I am looking as well. Liked the look of the BenQ but these is a new one out soon which might be nice (depending on budget) - the SW271. Early reviews seem good, but think will be pricey.

Had a quick look at those too and they are around £1050 which would be within budget but 27” is too small a monitor for 4K for my preference any way.

Get the high end Dell monitors, they are high quality ( or used to be unless they tried to cut costs like most companies do now )

We have had a Dell UP2716D for the last year and find it to be very good and reasonably priced. I would buy the same again if it failed.

Chris

Have been debating between the Dell U2715H, Dell UP2716D and the BenQ SW2700PT can't decide which one to go for any help appreciated. Is there any others I should be looking at?

I have not long purchased the Benq SW2700PT, really happy with it. Wex was the best price.

the Dell options do appear overall to be very popular, the P27Q was just mentioned at work but nobody seems to really know much about it which is a bit odd to my mind.

The Dell is probably the winner I think for me.

Last edited:
I have not long purchased the Benq SW2700PT, really happy with it. Wex was the best price.

One of the reviews on Amazon mentioned that this monitor had severe issues with image retention did you find this with yours?

Ended up ordering the BenQ SW2700PT.

Arrived today, very pleased with it.

Can either the, Dell U2715H or the Dell UP2716D, be calibrated by hardware? I have a U2713H but it drives me mad calibrating.The USB ports are flaky and really don't work (seems a common thing on the net) and I'm on OS which Dell didn't release their software for, so need to faff with a works windows laptop every time. The last calibration I was never happy with and so I've resorted to software calibration for ease etc. It seems ok so far but early days. I will upgrade at some point.

You can calibrate the Dell UP2716D but you con only use the X-Rite i1 Display calibration device and the Dell software.

I can't comment as a professional user, but for home use I found the calibration process to be very straightforward.

Chris

You can calibrate the Dell UP2716D but you con only use the X-Rite i1 Display calibration device and the Dell software.

I can't comment as a professional user, but for home use I found the calibration process to be very straightforward.

Chris

That’s what I have for my model Chris. Must admit that software calibration on my model looks to have done a good enough job for my use but I need to use it more to be really sure.

I have two Dell UP2716D's and to be honest they are fantastic screens, practically identical colours on each screen, they are a little more expensive than the H versions but you do get a better colour gamut of 100% Adobe RGB and sRGB as well as a calibration chart for each monitor.
thats topped off with a 3 year advanced exchange programme.

Would definitely recommend the 2716D

I have two Dell UP2716D's and to be honest they are fantastic screens, practically identical colours on each screen, they are a little more expensive than the H versions but you do get a better colour gamut of 100% Adobe RGB and sRGB as well as a calibration chart for each monitor.
thats topped off with a 3 year advanced exchange programme.

Would definitely recommend the 2716D

As mentioned above have already purchased a Benq SW2700PT and am very happy with it.

oops, thought I was replying to the OP, never mind, glad you are happy with your purchase, seems like a good buy.

What graphics cards are you guys using for 2k or 4k screens. I've read that you need something like a 1060ti to run them. This true?

I don’t know a lot about graphics cards in terms of what’s good and what’s bad but the new computer I just got has an nvidia gtx1070.

What graphics cards are you guys using for 2k or 4k screens. I've read that you need something like a 1060ti to run them. This true?
For 2d work not really. Even a cpu on board Gpu will do well in most cases (check the max supported res of your particular chip.).

For 3d, games and Gpu heavily accelerated apps that's another kettle of fish but even a 1060 would be overkill imo (depends on any gaming requirement).

For 2d work not really. Even a cpu on board Gpu will do well in most cases (check the max supported res of your particular chip.).

For 3d, games and Gpu heavily accelerated apps that's another kettle of fish but even a 1060 would be overkill imo (depends on any gaming requirement).

No gaming requirements. Just purely for photo retouching. I currently have a 730ti which I've read won't run a 4k display, even though the nvidia website says it can.

Last edited:
Well work have offered to help and that means the Lenovo, which there is very limited knowledge on but it looks like it should do the job nicely, so not complaining. I am confident that it will help the development of my ability to edit photos more effectively and ensure the final printed versions are as good as possible.

I'm using a couple of Dell P2715Q 4K. I started out with just one and a 1920x1200 Dell but the way Windows handles different DPI on dual monitor set-ups drove me up the wall so I picked another one up. The desktop real estate for Lightroom etc is great.

As long as you aren't gaming you can drive a couple of 4K monitors with a surprisingly modest card. I started out with a GTX 960. I've since got a 1080 though as I like a bit of GTA V.

Back