2gb Enough for Snow Leopard?

Name
Dylan
Edit My Images
Yes
As title, is 2gb really enough for Snow Leopard? Reason i ask, comming from a Windows background where having 8gb of ram on Vista makes it run smoothly, how do the macs fare with as low as 2gb on the MBA?

I use it perfectly well on 1.5GB :) It's been streamlined (yet added more features!) since Leopard was out. When I installed it, it gave me back 6GB of hard drive space....

... when Windows does that, I'll switch back :LOL:

Might want to upgrade if you are doing lots of photo editing etc.

1GB on the MacBook here running SL no problems.
Like Phil says I want more for PS really, but it still does that fine, just a little slower than the iMac with 4GB.

still cant decide if i should but the 13" MBP with 4gb ram or the MBA with 2gb and 128gb ssd

My MB has 2Gb and runs Snow Leopard and Aperture happily enough.
128 Gb sounds very small as your only drive. If it's gonna be your main machine, work out how much stuff you're gonna be keeping on it first.

128gb is more than enough for me as nothing appart from applications is kept on the drive. My main machine has 140 gb as it had 2 wd raptor drives in a RAID array so i dont need a lot of storage. Can the MBA RAM be upgraded by apple?

should be fine as snow leopard removed all the things that a powerpc used and the intel didnt need so a fresh reboot and should really see the difference

Personally I would go for the MBP, but then I on;y have one computer and keep everything on it. Will you miss the extra USB/FW/SD ports on the MBA? Is it going to be carried around a lot, or left in one place?

also, bear in mind that the macbook air has thermal problems and can get very hot, and also has performance issues with the cpu... I'd go for the MBP any day, though the 128gb SSD in the air is tempting :p

Despite the ssd drive in the air, you'd probably still get better battery life from the MBP though - and when SSD prices drop further in a year or so you can just swop out the hard drive for an ssd :D

It'll run fine on 2gb but mac's crave RAM for pure speed. I've always packed as much RAM in my macs as possible and they performance increase is hugely noticeable, if you can afford it and it'll fit get it :)

**But from another supplier like crucial.com/uk instead of apple, Apple prices are crazy ***

I wouldn't bother with snow leopard at all, having just spent the last few days installing and reinstalling it.

Flash crashes constantly as do a few of my other apps (entourage - wont allow search in spotlight, safari crashing all the time)

Not good, finally reverted back to leopard

I wouldn't bother with snow leopard at all, having just spent the last few days installing and reinstalling it.
Flash crashes constantly as do a few of my other apps (entourage - wont allow search in spotlight, safari crashing all the time)
Not good, finally reverted back to leopard
Have to agree. Worst £30 I ever spent, let alone gave to Apple.

Joe/Mero have you spoken to Apple re: the problems upgrading to S/L?

I know there have been some issues surrounding it (having dealt with customer's complaints), but calls to the AppleCare team have usually resolved these problems..?

I installed it faultlessly as most people have. Those people who have had faults, were they updates or full installs? Must admit I have only actually upgraded my Macbook pro (my main machine) all the others are still running Leopard although I will install it on the Mac pro soon.

Oh, actually I did have one problem. Remember those "3" dongles that they were selling for £5 inc postage. I bought one and there are no SL drivers!

I've not had any SL problems.

we've also had a few issues with SN at work, namely:

no canon printer drivers
connect to seems defaults to afp rather than smb now
one machine takes about 5 mins to initialise its network card
mounted network drives appear as servers rather than shares

I installed SL on my wifes white MB (early 2008 model) which I upgraded to 2GB RAM, it runs like a dream. (better on mine with 4GB ***!)

Oh, actually I did have one problem. Remember those "3" dongles that they were selling for £5 inc postage. I bought one and there are no SL drivers!

Try launch2net, that may help if there are no new drivers coming.

Snow Leopard seems to be more evolution than revolution, wait until something like CS5 which should hopefully 64 bit and more RAM aware, then the upgrade may be noticeable.
Snow Leopard was released more to help program developers write new 64bit software, rather than for us end users. I've had no problems with both my macs.:)

Snow Leopard seems to be more evolution than revolution, wait until something like CS5 which should hopefully 64 bit and more RAM aware, then the upgrade may be noticeable.
Snow Leopard was released more to help program developers write new 64bit software, rather than for us end users. I've had no problems with both my macs.:)

SL is virtually a re-write but very few extra features.

Try launch2net, that may help if there are no new drivers coming.

I got a call from "3" asking when I was going to top it up. I explained the problems and they said that they would sort it for me even if that meant a new dongle but I didn't take a name or number and that was probably 4-6 weeks ago! Oh well it was only a fiver!

Back