2k vs 4k?

Edit My Images
Yes
I'm sure this has been done to death, but search will not allow me to pull up words less than 3 letters long.

What's your preference? With the price of decent 4k monitors coming down, and some very good 2k monitors on the market which direction should I go? Do the disadvantages of 4k outweigh the resolution gains, or am I just chasing numbers for no real benefit?

I'm not overly fussed about maximum colour calibration ability, the majority of my photos will never leave my hard drive, let alone see print, and those that do will be highstreet print where 90+% is good enough. That being said as close to the better.

IPS over TN but what about VA?

Do hz really matter for non gaming applications?

I'm coming from a 2011 imac which iirc is a 2k Ips panel.
The pc is running a 8gb RTX 590 GPU so should have the poke to support the resolution.

So, what do you prefer, hands on experience, 2k or 4k?

What’s also important is size of panel. A very large 4K panel will have less dpi than a smaller panel with less resolution. Also consider your viewing distance as it may all be academic if your sat some distance away from the screen.

60hz is great than for non gaming purposes. Which panels have you seen so far?

4K wide gamut IPS is the obvious choice now. Maybe even 5K. Just make sure it is is not high gloss, normally it wouldn't be, and also flat not curved.

Do not be tempted to buy into outgoing tech. Unless it is practically given away you will be wanting for better soon and these will become less and less desirable. The visual difference is quite obvious.

Re sizes, do your research how your OS handles resolution at that particular size. On mac 32" 4K is unfortunately not handled as retina; this is perfectly OK for images but text does become a little small, and not everything apart from browser and word processor can be changed without making the rest look awful! (i.e.mac system menus!)

I will be using normal sort of desk distance, 2-3 feet, I will be looking at an adjustable vesa arm so its going to move around, making IPS even more important. Mainly looking to 27 Inch, but not ruling out 32 if the screen is the right one at the right price.

This system will be running Windows, I'm done with Macs now. I have read a bit of conflicting advice on Windows 10's scaling, so may just have to bite it and see.

My current shortlist:
AOC U2777PQU 27" 4K - £300
Acer Nitro VG270Kbmiipx 27 inch UHD 4K - £320
iiyama XUB2792UHSU-B1 27" 4k - £380

BenQ PD2700Q 27 Inch 1440p - £263
MSI Optix MAG271CQR 27 Inch, WQHD, VA, 144 Hz - Ex display - £250
Acer Nitro VG270Ubmiipx 27-inch WQHD - £224

My preference is for best color - currently that’s an Eizo. That sits next to a 5k screen which is great for other work. Both are calibrated, however the 5k screen cannot match the Eizo colors.

I've just come from a 2012 iMac and I now have a PC with an RX590 :)

I have a Benq EW3270U - 32 inches of 4K beauty. I've not *yet* hung it on a vesa arm but I might. It's remarkably nice. I bet you'd be very happy with that.

I paid £322 - looking at the web that seems a bit of a bargain. Maybe use CamelCamel or wait for the sales. I think prices are high ATM so they can drop them on Boxing Day and claim a was price.

I will be using normal sort of desk distance, 2-3 feet, I will be looking at an adjustable vesa arm so its going to move around, making IPS even more important. Mainly looking to 27 Inch, but not ruling out 32 if the screen is the right one at the right price.

This system will be running Windows, I'm done with Macs now. I have read a bit of conflicting advice on Windows 10's scaling, so may just have to bite it and see.

My current shortlist:
AOC U2777PQU 27" 4K - £300
Acer Nitro VG270Kbmiipx 27 inch UHD 4K - £320
iiyama XUB2792UHSU-B1 27" 4k - £380

BenQ PD2700Q 27 Inch 1440p - £263
MSI Optix MAG271CQR 27 Inch, WQHD, VA, 144 Hz - Ex display - £250
Acer Nitro VG270Ubmiipx 27-inch WQHD - £224

At 4k you can go up that extra size, I went from 2k 27 imac 108ppi to 32 4k 138ppi and very glad I did, desk viewing distance is fine at this res and the additional space to put open windows, palettes etc is welcome. I'm scaling at 125% in win 10.

Some panels aren't IPS, cheaper benq for example, but their viewing angles are still strong. Make sure the stand is adjustable.

Last edited:
Back