2nd attempt at low key of eldest daughter

Name
Craig
Edit My Images
Yes
So, had the camera out when the eldest was playing with a flower last night. Determined to get a low key effort that is half decent, but never get much of a chance for these unless I am really cunning and quick with her:cool:.

I quite like the light here (a bit dark on her face though), but would like to have seen her smaller in the frame, problem is I had the camera in my right hand, quickly throwing up the sb600 with my left :LOL: Couldnt even zoom out any cos my left hand had the flash. A one handed low key.

Still, better than my first attempt IMO, dont get many chances at these type of pics with her so it will do:D

What do you guys reckon? It's a bit cliched as well, but hey ho, sometimes you dont care(y)

Not sure if exif is there on the site, but it will be 1/4000th, iso200, probably ~f9 and around 35 or 40mm I would reckon.

000002.jpg

its nice effort but with all the hair all over the place its abit distracting

how do you get the flash to fire at that speed ???? i can only get mine to 1/180 maybe my camera is abit to old

Cheers Nick, yeah, would have liked the hair tidier without the red bobble etc as well, but just had to take it as-is while I had the chance:D I know in my mind what I want to do, but with them jumping around, and not wanting them to 'pose' as such, you take the chance as it comes - with the kids, plans go out the window quick:p

SB600 has high speed shutter sync (fp mode) that will let me take 1/4000th (or anything about your normal limit of what ~1/200?). It's sometimes handy for wide apertures on sunny days for fill etc I find, I dont use it that much. (I'm not flash expert, so dont let me give you the impression that I am!:LOL:)

Could have done with a slower speed, but she was about 2 feet from a fairly bright bookcase and light door opening, so wanted to make sure my ambient was totally gone. That's about the only thing i had time to control to be honest. If I had a choice, would have been different clothing, hair and a perhaps showing more of her hand holding the flower and also her a bit smaller in frame, but never had the luxury of getting anywhere near those things:shake::LOL:

Thanks for the feedback(y)

...should add, on my D90 'fp' mode is enabled on the camera rather than the flash that might not be obvious(?)...(wasnt obvious to me so just mentioning!!)

I like it. Both eyes are bright, I like how you have separated both your daughter and rose against the black BG, Both perfectly in focus. You have done well and captured a lovely image to keep of your eldest daughter. I think this lighting adds to the mood of the photo.

will have a look see if my camera has anything similar

i know what its like with kids tho i have 3 of my own and i tryed getting a nice family shot with there cousins for a present for a member of the family and after so many shots i ended up haveing to take the head off another shot and so on till i had a decent picture hard work trying to get the attention of 5 kids for a nice photo lol

Thank you very much, Andrew.
Its probably the best i could gave done for my level and for the prep time available :)
Still, i'll keep practising, might try a couple when she's sleeping only way to get proper setup time :)

I think you have done a great job photographing children is no easy task , they just don't sit still long enough . My daughters 3 and some times it like trying to shoot a hummingbird in a hurracane

Cheers Peter, yeah, just got to take the chances when they come up dont you.
I'll never be a pro put it that way, but if i get pics to be half proud of in years to come, i'll be happy with that....
Going to try some high key stuff next ;) Flash is totally different discipline i find, but so good when it falls together....

Back