2nd Body Lens Choice

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
Hope you guys can give some advice. Mainly shoot football, rugby and some cricket.
I currently shoot with a 1D MkIII and a Non IS 70-200mm f2.8 Canon with a 1.4TC if the light is good enough. I also have a a 7D with a 24-70mm f4 Canon lens.
Ideally I would have a Canon 300mm f2.8 lens on the 1D with the 70-200mm on the 7D. But not able to afford the 300mm, what are my options.

1. Stick with what I've got.
2. Buy a Canon 300mm f4
3. Buy a Sigma 120-300mm f2.8
4. Win the lottery

Would never personally reccomend and lens which Canon say they no longer support or isnt servicable anymore, whilst i 100% agree its a great lens you could be buying a £1000 paper weight as parts are few and far between and anyone who still has any parts will charge a premium for them.

I would however reccomend you keep saving and buy the earlier IS version

Thanks for the replies. I had thought of the Canon non IS version, but as Gary says spares could be tricky to get a hold of. Is it a gamble worth taking.

Not sure how much the MKI IS version sells for and how often they come up for sale, will need to do a bit of digging.

Would I be wasting my time getting a 2nd hand 300mm f4 and at a later date sell it and move up to a f2.8?

If you buy from a company like Aperture, they will offer a 3 month warranty which takes a lot of risk out of the deal.
Had a look at Aperture (and a few other sites), seems the MKI IS version 2nd hand is about £500 more than the non IS version.
I will keep my eye out for a good copy of either and then make a decision based on price & condition.

I have used a Canon 300mm 2.8 that is about the same age as me for the past couple of years. Not a problem *Touch Wood*

Back