2nd curtain flash

Name
The King Of Prestwich
Edit My Images
Yes
Merry Years Eve everyone!! :D

I'm off to a party in a barn tonight and I was hoping to get some cool 'club style' shots as there'll be a decent lighting rig, decks etc set up. I've managed to finally set my 430EX to 2nd curtain flash (couldn't find the bloody manual) but what settings should I be looking at to gain the best effect?? By that I mean:

-Should I be in manual?

-Should I be bouncing the flash off something?

-What kind of shutter speed should I be using?

-What pitfalls/little nuances should I be aware of when trying to take shots like this

-Owt else you can thing of!!

Cheers m'dears, have a good yan!! :D

-Should I be in manual?

Yes use M all the time

-Should I be bouncing the flash off something?

Direct flash can be harsh so you might need to experiment, I use a large white piece of plastic attached to my flashgun to soften light, a Stofen is also good. I usually use off shoe cord so can move flash around.

-What kind of shutter speed should I be using?

It varies from 2 sec to 0.5 it is a case of trial and error

What pitfalls/little nuances should I be aware of when trying to take shots like this

You need to experiment and try different speeds and adjusting aperture and iso so you get a good combination of ambient light and flash. It can be hard getting a focus on subject due to poor light. Shoot raw for WB adjustment

Here are a few shots with exif:

Shutter Speed 0.5Sec./ Aperture F2.8 /ISO Speed 640/ Focal Length 85.0 mm

sync1.jpg

Shutter Speed 0.8Sec./ Aperture F4.5 /ISO Speed 640/ Focal Length 70.0 mm

sync2.jpg

Shutter Speed 2Sec/ Aperture F6.3/ ISO Speed 1000/ Focal Length 80.0 mm

sync3.jpg

Spot on that, cheers Biko!! I've got a Stofen, so I'll use that to soften the shots slightly!! :D

The second shot in your sequence shows the problem with "front" curtain flash.

If you had set it to "rear" the light trails would have been behind tem not in front.

good advice from biko there, personally I wouldn't go quite so slow with the shutter I's bump the iso a notch or two instead, you want to capture some motion but too much can be a bit weird looking for me.

I use a stroboframe for photography like this.

http://www.tiffen.com/Stroboframe%20web%20catalog.htm

The flash is always above the lens even when you turn the camera sideways by flipping the bracket over. I don't think bouncing will work in a barn unless the ceiling is predominately white. A Stofen is a good addition.

Back