2nd Tripod

Edit My Images
Yes
I already have a Manfrotto 055xprob tripod which I use for general landscape work and can cope with the size and weight but I'm traveling around with work at the moment and want to do a bit of night photography in iconic places so would need a tripod. The Manfrotto, due to its size and weight, isn't practicable to carry with me to work nor is it discrete enough to evade the tripod police so I'l looking for a 2nd tripod. Needs to be compact in size, light and cheap!! - £40-50 second hand. Any suggestions from experience?

Manfrotto Pixie.

Honestly all the tripod in the £50 range will be crap compare to your manfrotto unless you spend quite a lot more.

Instead of throwing good money at a second rate tripod, why not have a try with a bean-bag?.....use on the floor, walls, car roof and even in ctooks in trees

Hi and thanks for your input.

The bean bag option is a good one and something I have thought of to support one of my very long lenses for wildlife photography - maybe this is the tipping point to buy one.

As for the Pixie, this is below my budget new, I'm not convinced it will fit the bill. I may be getting a Gorillapod for Christmas which may help for low level stuff or attaching to structures. As much as I still don't want to go down the route of a completely flimsy one I only want one for light use and for use in good conditions. Over the next few weeks I will be in London so I want to shoot the usual boring stuff - never done it before and I do very little night time, long exposure - so this is a learning curve for me.

As I said in my original post, I am only looking 2nd hand so technically I am looking for an old model, as long as it is light and compact, or something that is far from new i.e something that retailed around £100 but I can get on the bay for around £50. I'm just lacking the user knowledge for that level which I hope the forum can give assistance on?

Right, lets put a conclusion to this post; I eventually bought a Benro TSL08CN00 Slim Carbon-Fibre Tripod with Ball head new for about £75 during Black Friday/Easter Monday/Cyber Thursday month long event (you get what I mean). I did very little research other than look at the spec; it was light – just over 1kg, it could carry a payload of 4kg, folds down to 51cm so fits into my works laptop bag – just! and has a max height of 122cm with the column down – slightly short but I can cope with that. Against my Manfrotto it just looks stupid!

When I was looking through the forum for recommendations, I did get the feeling that there is a bit of tripod snobbery in that you can’t compromise and if you buy cheap you are not going to get something fit for purpose. I’m not really in that camp; I think it is horses for courses i.e I wouldn’t take a studio style tripod on a Ryanair flight to say Budapest to do some cityscapes. And as I stated in my original post I was looking for a second tripod as I already have, what I believe, is a good landscape tripod with the Manfrotto with a decent head on (it’s not let me down and I’m sure there are better out there) and I was looking for something specific, especially to by discrete enough to avoid the tripod police in and around the London Eye etc and be small/light enough to escape with if spotted. The Manfrotto weighs about 2kg more and is at least twice to size so it isn’t subtle to take to work and slip out for a crafty photoshoot. So, weight and size tick the box and so did the price (yes, slightly higher than I originally stated but that always happens)

Once I got over the size factor, I quite like the Benro. The ball head is limited with only one lock on it so for panoramas it wouldn’t be great (it does have a bubble level) but I’m sure I could swap the heads around if I needed to. The one thing I like with the Benro head is that it is an Arce-Swiss with a quick release plate. Having just moved to using an L-bracket I find that useful. Now, I’ve also got a quick release plate as a spare when I am using a longer lens that has a tripod mount on the lens. It has defined twist lock legs which are different to what I am used to but they are quick and precise. The centre column reverses to enable low level and the legs spread nice and wide – I do like that, and on a tripod. The centre column also has a hook on it that allow me to hook my camera/work backpack on it to give it that extra stability.

All in all, I am pleased with it; it is cheap, it is light, it does have some flex in the legs but I can work with that limitation but it allows my to weigh it down for stability and the head is limited in its flexibility but covers the bases with regards to the quick release plate and Arce-Swiss. I’m sure it won’t be everyone’s cup of tea but we are all different, have different kit and different requirements.

When I was looking through the forum for recommendations, I did get the feeling that there is a bit of tripod snobbery in that you can’t compromise and if you buy cheap you are not going to get something fit for purpose.

It's not straightforward snobbery - but it's not uncommon for those who depend on good tripods to start off 'cheap' and then have to trade up.

The problem is perspective. Those having been through this are giving reasonable advice to those who would end up on the same journey - but lose perspective that there are many others who have have different needs and priorities.

All in all, I am pleased with it; it is cheap, it is light, it does have some flex in the legs but I can work with that limitation but it allows my to weigh it down for stability and the head is limited in its flexibility but covers the bases with regards to the quick release plate and Arce-Swiss. I’m sure it won’t be everyone’s cup of tea but we are all different, have different kit and different requirements.

So good outcome. You're pleased and you have what is for you a pragmatic solution in terms of price and capability.

Thanks for following up.

Back