2x Extenders for Canon

Name
Paddy
Edit My Images
No
Hi All,

I'm new to the world of extenders so thought I best ask a few questions first. Just to add some context I'll be marrying the extender up with a 5D mkiii and most likely a Canon 70-200 2.8 IS.

1. Does the Sigma/Kenko versions still function with the IS? I have seen the official Canon one does which is obviously a huge benefit when we're talking about adding length.

2. Does the image quality suffer great, for example would I see a huge difference between a shot taken with a 2x extender and a 70-200 2.8 at 400mm 5.6 vs a 100-400 at the same focal length and aperture?

Personally, if you're putting it on a 5Dmkiii & mkII lens, I'd opt for the canon mkIII extender

The way I'd think about it - your putting it on to an expensive body and an expensive lens, so in those terms, it's not actually that dear and do you want to be wondering if the shot isn't as good as you'd like, because of the cheaper TC you used - I know I would be .... hence why I decided on the Canon

I started a similar thread a while ago about the best 2x extenders for the 70-200 2.8 MkII. I tried my Kenko Pro300 DGX 1.4x with the lens and 5D3 and the IQ was really impressive, as was the AF speed. I did try the same model 2x with it but it was faulty and wouldn't AF correctly with either my 5D3 or 60D and any of my lenses.

I've just ordered a Canon 2x MkIII for it off a trusted ebay site and should get it in the next few days. I'll just keep hold of my Kenko 1.4x for all my other lenses as well.

I've just purchased one from Kerso. Initial thoughts are good.

Hi All,

I'm new to the world of extenders so thought I best ask a few questions first. Just to add some context I'll be marrying the extender up with a 5D mkiii and most likely a Canon 70-200 2.8 IS.

1. Does the Sigma/Kenko versions still function with the IS? I have seen the official Canon one does which is obviously a huge benefit when we're talking about adding length.

2. Does the image quality suffer great, for example would I see a huge difference between a shot taken with a 2x extender and a 70-200 2.8 at 400mm 5.6 vs a 100-400 at the same focal length and aperture?

1. As far as I know the IS works with all the currently available extenders as it is simply an electrical connection. It worked on my 50 quid Kenko 1.5 just fine. Af should function on all EOS bodies with an F2.8 Canon lens (does on mine anyway). I tried the Sigma 1.4 and 2 x extenders and the above Kenko on my 70-200 F2.8 IS Mk1 without issues. However I (personally) preferred the IQ on the both Canon Mk2 versions (see below re 2 x extender)
2. Yes IQ does suffer. Both contrast and sharpness will be reduced, as well as light, but it's still better than cropping! I found the Canon 1.4 pretty good and well usable on lenses of F4 or better but I was not too happy with the 2 x Mk2. It was the best 2 x extender that I could find at the time so it had to suffice. Later I traded it for the 2 x Mk3 - much better IMHO as it gets used rather than left at home!
Remember extenders are a compromise, so if you really need more reach -get a longer lens if at all possible. I would much prefer a 400 F5.6 to a 70-200 F2.8 + 2 x extender if I had the choice.

I use the Kenko x2 on my 70-200F4 and it works fine, but is soft. Personally I'd advise against getting the Kenko one, especially considering the money you've already spent on the other items.

Thank you all for your replies, I think the general consensus is that it's never going to replace a 100-400 but at the price it's worth a punt, as well as going for the official Canon model to be sure of getting the best out of the combo.

Thanks all

Hi
Have you thought of hiring one for a week to see if your happy with the results?
Andrew

Back