2x Lens Converter, handy accessory or waste of time?

Name
Steven
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm shuffling kit around at the mo trying to work out what I can sell to fund other purchases and I'm wondering what the opinion of everyone is on converters? I have used my Sigma 2x converter now and then, but mostly where I have been shooting, to lose the 2 stops of light and a bit of sharpness has not really been worth the benefit.

I wondered if any of the guys that have been shooting sports for a while keep one in their bag or use them regularly when possible?

Should I just accept that my 70-200 isn't going to capture much at the far end of the pitch and get rid?

I know maybe this a bit of a personal preference thing, and an 'it depends on....' thing, but in general what's your opinion?

Hi Steven i used to have a EF70-200mm f2.8 but i sold as i tried a x2 converter on it but couldn't live with it i.e losing stops and IQ.

I now own a very sharp Sigma 120-400mm which is superb. The Sigma's build quality isn't as good but its not far off :)

Sell both and get the 120-400mm or 50-500mm etc if they're Sigma's new versions you won't be disappointed :)

for me the x2 was a waste of space.. had the canon mkIII which was supposed to be top notch.. didnt like it at all.. bit hit and miss with not all pics bang on and i need them all...

Maybe it is whether you see them to use generally or specifically

I find the Nikon TC14Ell works well with the Nikon 300mm f4
I find the Nikon TC20Elll works well with the 300mm f2.8VR

I find that neither work too well with the 70 200mm f2.8 VR zoom, but the TC14Ell is not bad at f8

I bought the 14 specifically to use with the 300 f4 and the 20 to use with the 300 f2.8 - bought both to extend the reach when taking "bird" shots

I have tried both with the V1 but the results are not great and I have tried the 14 with the Nikon 105mm f2.8 micro and I have never got a reasonable shot

Last edited:
Use the TC2III with the 300f2.8vrII and the 70-200 f2.8 vrII and it's still very acceptable, both 1.4 and 1.7 are amazing even on the 200-400. But wouldn't use the 2.0III on it, really messes with the IQ.

Not used the Sigma but I do use the Canon 1.4 with both the Canon 70-200 and the 200-400. Gives really good results. I have heard that the Canon 2X is not as good as the 1.4X

I've used my canon 2x with my 70-200 so I don't have to carry my 100-400
I've used it with my 100-400 for extra reach, works ok if you use live view and zoom for critical focus.

I also have the 1.4x I use with the 100-400 as it gives f8 and I can autofocus with that.

Small, light and handy to have in the bag for those occaisions you just need some extra reach

I can tell you from experience the Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8VR II only works okay with TC-20EIII if light is superb, apart from that its a waste of time + Needs stopping down to f/8, get the 1.4x or 1.7x much better!!

I used a kenko teleplus 2x converter with my 80-200 f2.8 nikon lens and was really disapointed in the image quality but swapped for the kenko pro 300dg 1.4x converter and it works really well and image quality is good too.

Back