3.5 hard drive help

Edit My Images
Yes
I recently had a hard drive taken out of an iMac g5 as the screen was broken and it was too expensive to fix it says Wd 35 is there a wire or an adaptor I can buy for it to work?thankyou

I'm assuming it has the connector style of the drive on the left:
hdd-sata-ide.jpg
If so, there's a load of USB docking stations available so you won't even need to take a screwdriver to anything to connect it. (y)

Sabrent EC-DFLT SATA Lay-Flat Docking Station
I’m going to go for this one any thoughts on this product before I hit purchase

Little as possible I see the cheapest ones come from China but I’m not wanting to wait so long so I’m going with a uk supplier thanks for your input

Last edited:
Well a few of the Amazon reviewers say they had trouble with the Sabrent recognising large (3Tb+) drives, but if your G5 drive is smaller than that, then it seems like it should be okay.

Also beware of heat buildup on that style (as mentioned by some reviewer/users) when the drive is active for prolonged periods.

One is a wd caviar se 250gb
The other is a maxtor 20 gb d540x
I won’t be using them for long periods so I don’t think I will need a fan but thanks for the advice

Well, G5's used SATA drives, confirmed in post #3, so I think the WD'll be okay, but I agree that little Maxtor could be a problem.

eBay has some 20GB 3.5" SATA Seagates on offer.
Buyer beware.
There's a muppet on ebay who doesn't know SATA from PATA; their Seagate 20Gb SATA's have primary/slave jumper setting instructions on the label, exposing the mistake.

Back