3/8th by 14 bolt (the old tripod screw size)

Name
wayne clarke
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm looking for a source of 3/8th bolts (the old tripod screw size) around 2-3 inches long. I'm modifing a tripod to take a head I already have, and I'm having trouble getting these locally. Wayne

I've got some 2 1/2" and 3 1/2" ones here. Only the first 1" is threaded though...the remainder is the uncut shank.

PM me your address if they'll work for you.

Bob

try a good hardware store, they should do them, thats where i got one when i needed one.

Hi if you are still stuck please PM me I have a huge supplier near where I live and he will certainly have what you want.
Peter.

I always purchase what is known as studding in one meter lengths from a good tool shop. For example "1/4" 20 whit" to make my own tripod camera bolts.

try a good hardware store, they should do them, thats where i got one when i needed one.

Not around here they don't.

Bob, thanks but I don't think I'll be able to do it with only the inch threaded on a longer bolt.
Sadly the good old fashioned ironmongers have gone, and been replaced by Screwfix direct, and they only do metric (at least mine does) I have tried all the other lightly places locally with no joy.
I actually need the threaded part 2 - 3 inch although a 2 inch bolt with just the last .5 inch threaded would work, a longer one would need a longer threaded bit as I would have to put another nut as a stopper further down. I also need a nut if it's longer than 2 inches.
A big thanks for all the replies guys :) Wayne

I always purchase what is known as studding in one meter lengths from a good tool shop. For example "1/4" 20 whit" to make my own tripod camera bolts.

That would work as long as I could get the nuts, do they do 3/8th?

Depends on the pitch.

3/8 refers to the diameter. The pitch refers to both the number of threads per inch but also the shape of the tooth. There are hundreds of different thread forms including UNC, UNF, Whitworth, BSP (British Standard Pipe), BSB and lots of others from other countries.

The same is true with metric. A metric thread may be M8 which is an 8mm thread. Each diameter has a standard pitch, but also pitches either side referred as either metric fine or metric course threads. M8 x 1.25 is standard, M8 x1.0 is fine and M8 x 1.5 is course. You need a matching nut otherwise it won't screw in.

Its getting harder and harder to get imperial sizes in small quantities at economical prices. Easy if your prepared to buy 1000 but 1's and 10's are harder, especially in decent quality materials.

The 3/8-16 thread found on tripods is an American Standard, it is 3/8" diameter, with 16 threads per inch, which is the same as 3/8" Whitworth, the only diffrence is that the angle of the threads is slightly different in the way they are cut.
You can still use a 3/8" Whitworth thread its as close as doesn't matter.

i may be wrong but is that the same thread as used on items of fishing tackle ? like on rodrests and nets etc maybe your local tackle shop could help :thinking:

Just to confirm the thread spec:

the smaller of the 2 is 1/4" x 20 TPI UN Thread form

the larger of the 2 is 3/8" x 16 TPI UN thread form

UN thread form is the same as metric ( 60 degree angle )

Whitworth is 55 Degrees, and although over a small length you can get away with it, it does not fit correctly and should be avoided.

Im after a 3/8th bolt around 1" long (but does not have to be exact) Trying to mount a Manfrotto plate onto a tripod which is already threaded so I need the correct bolt. If anyone has one I can pay via Paypal no problem.

Hope someone can help. Thanks

Back