3 days photographing elk

Bugle boy is stunning. Lighting, composition, subject, story... It's all there.

(y)

Very nice indeed, lovely atmosphere well captured.

IDKW images linked from flickr get compressed/degraded....

yeah between flickr and linking to this website things get destroyed.

If you're setting flickr to export images for embedding at a different resolution to that uploaded then I think that can degrade quality.

Fab images.

its almost always at a lower resolution than I upload. downsizing should ideally increase the overall quality not kill it.

Bugle boy and the crossing are beautiful, great setting. Some of the others look underexposed to me, particularly Wapiti.

Out of the darkness, I get the tones in that one, but with a different title I would have gone with underexposure as well.

The detail is lower than your normal shots - I'm guessing this is a linking to flickr issue - I never link from there, it really messes with the detail

Mike

Bugle boy and the crossing are beautiful, great setting. Some of the others look underexposed to me, particularly Wapiti.

Out of the darkness, I get the tones in that one, but with a different title I would have gone with underexposure as well.

The detail is lower than your normal shots - I'm guessing this is a linking to flickr issue - I never link from there, it really messes with the detail

Mike
I went with darker processing in some of them as I felt it suited the situation/mood... foggy and very low light, settings were around 1/200, f/2.8, 6400.
I think the detail is a bit less due to conditions/settings, but I also think flickr is mashing them more than it used to.

its almost always at a lower resolution than I upload. downsizing should ideally increase the overall quality not kill it.

Normally one would expect downsampling to at least retain quality, but that doesn't seem true for Flickr/browser resampling. Often the smaller image on Flickr looks a mess too, before one clicks on it for a full size view.

Great set. Only time I’ve seen these was at the Grand Canyon and quite close too, just 10 yards off the trail and they weren’t bothered about the visitors walking by either.

Back