3 legged thing tripod

I have a Brian and a Bob and find them great. The legs only flop about if I don't tighten them and service it with a bit of silicone grease. The comments about 3LT do not match my experience at all. I also haVe a Manfrotto but it doesn't get used very much at all. Bob's bag "disappeared" at a sporting event and they replaced it FOC and also gave me a free service when I messed up my first clean of Brian (tripod) after it was in a lot of sand and sea . So by all means stick with Manfrotto if you are comfortable with it. Its compact size means that it easily fits in my case in the lightweight bag which I admit is a bit fiddly. And no, I don't work for them! And Brian has a leg which becomes a monopod another plus when travelling

Last edited:
They are made in the far east like nearly every other tripod these days.
Probably just a few factories knocking out all the different brands.

As an example http://www.wexphotographic.com/primaphoto-small-travel-tripod-blue-1593596/
and this one https://www.cameracentreuk.com/mefoto/mefoto-backpacker-travel-tripod-blue-4037-553-5492.php
also http://www.cnkingjoy.com/en/products.asp?id=6

Some makes are gussied up a bit, but all basically the same Chinese manufactured underneath the fancy colours, leg becomes a monopod and trendy names

Certainly true - but there are some very good Chinese made tripods out there. The Sirui R series for example. Unfortunately I have not been happy with the 3LT tripods that I have tried out.

All these comments making think about sticking with my manfroto.. tnx for all advice.

There is always Gitzo? They work, they do what they say and they do it for decades! So you will never need to upgrade = cheaper in the long run!

Do not be shocked by Gitzo list prices as my most expensive Gitzo cost £375 brand new (direct from Gitzo UK) and that is a 4 series Systematic - bit of a monster for your uses. My other 3 Gitzo tripods were considerably less.

There is always Gitzo? They work, they do what they say and they do it for decades! So you will never need to upgrade = cheaper in the long run!

Do not be shocked by Gitzo list prices as my most expensive Gitzo cost £375 brand new (direct from Gitzo UK) and that is a 4 series Systematic - bit of a monster for your uses. My other 3 Gitzo tripods were considerably less.

Very true, my current choice is FLM, worth a look http://www.flm-gmbh.de/en/home/

That's a bit of a cherry picked price, if you go now the cheapest Series 4 systematic is £819.95.

That's a bit of a cherry picked price, if you go now the cheapest Series 4 systematic is £819.95.

Perhaps, though.........

My Gitzo GT3320BS was £189, My G 1550T (used - but mint) was £140, my GT2531 was £300, my (ex) G1329 Mk2 + G1318 center column (used but again near mint) was £100, my GM2541 Mono Pod was £90. So yes I agree "Cherry Picked" prices - they are the only ones that I will pay! Is my £200 Wimberley Mk2 hesd eligible? A close friend has had similar purchases - I can contact him and list them if you like? He got an absolute steal on a Feisol Tournament tripod too - hate him I really like that little tripod!

Surely we all look around at prices before we make a significant purchase? That is all that I do, if what I want is too expensive then I wait a little and then a cheaper one will come along - well they have so far. Please note that most of the above was bought from a high street camera shop, the G1550T was from E Bay though.

I buy Gitzo products because they offer excellent quality/performance and they are cheaper than the copies/imitations - just my experiences.

All the best.

I buy Gitzo products because they offer excellent quality/performance and they are cheaper than the copies/imitations - just my experiences.

I like Gitzo a lot too but those prices aren't helpful as they're not available to anyone else right now, if you have the luxury of time you can find almost anything at an amazing price but that's not much help to someone trying to buy something now.

I like Gitzo a lot too but those prices aren't helpful as they're not available to anyone else right now, if you have the luxury of time you can find almost anything at an amazing price but that's not much help to someone trying to buy something now.

Not available? A nice carbon fiber 1 series sold on E Bay (UK) 2 days ago for under £140 including a Gitzo ball head. I was watching this one and bid - but I thought it was getting a bit pricey. as it didn't fill a niche for me.

A bit more expensive - but available now:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GITZO-G11...889237?hash=item3f874cae95:g:ly0AAOSw7L1ZwDUG

I don't know where you live but I haven't had to wait long to find any of my current (or past) Gitzo tripods at sensible money. They normally find me - much to my credit card's disgust!

If the OP has very specific requirements (eg supporting a 600 F4) then a little searching and time may be required but 1 and 2 series Gitzos come along regularly at sensible money.

I have had the the 3LT Brian for the past 3-4 years and have had no real issues with the mechanics of the tripod. My main gripe would be that it isn't the most stable in anything more than a breeze. I have never put a great deal of weight on it as I use a Sony A7 and wouldn't fancy mounting a DSLR on there.

For the money I'd look elsewhere

You're not listening.

Not listening to what? You state that "I like Gitzo a lot too but those prices aren't helpful as they're not available to anyone else right now" so I show two examples that were when I posted.

No idea what you are thinking of - I have yet to wait long to find a Gitzo tripod that I want at a reasonable price, hence my collection!

I've got a 3lt vyv. Find it pretty good to be honest and I like the customer service you get, if anything does go wrong they just sort it out, no fuss! Would definitely consider buying another3lt model.

Not listening to what? You state that "I like Gitzo a lot too but those prices aren't helpful as they're not available to anyone else right now" so I show two examples that were when I posted.

My original point was that the information you gave would lead someone to the wrong conclusions, you said you got a series 4 brand new from Gitzo for £375 but no one else can get that deal now so it's irrelevant for the op how little you paid.

My point was it's not that helpful for someone who was just considering a 3LT to give them unrealistic prices for one of the most expensive brands and you then go on to suggest they look for second hand bargains. Which is fine of course but if you're looking for a specific model you could be waiting for a very long time and if you haven't considered Gitzo before their less than user friendly model number system isn't making things easier. That's the thing with used equipment, if you can wait you'll eventually come across everything cheaply but most people (amateur and professional) go looking when they actually need it so waiting around isn't an option.

My original point was that the information you gave would lead someone to the wrong conclusions, you said you got a series 4 brand new from Gitzo for £375 but no one else can get that deal now so it's irrelevant for the op how little you paid.

My point was it's not that helpful for someone who was just considering a 3LT to give them unrealistic prices for one of the most expensive brands and you then go on to suggest they look for second hand bargains. Which is fine of course but if you're looking for a specific model you could be waiting for a very long time and if you haven't considered Gitzo before their less than user friendly model number system isn't making things easier. That's the thing with used equipment, if you can wait you'll eventually come across everything cheaply but most people (amateur and professional) go looking when they actually need it so waiting around isn't an option.

Please refer to my post from Tuesday. All my Gitzo tripods (except the G1550T) were purchased from normal sources - namely a high street camera shop and the 4 series direct from Gitzo. So 3 of the 5 Gitzo tripods mentioned (+ the Mono Pod) were purchased from a high street store - I don't think UK camera shops are going to like you.

Then I sent a link to a considerably superior tripod for the bargain price of £160 that was immediately available and you still complain about waiting?

You have your opinions - I have my tripods and the receipts, I wonder who is the more experienced on this matter? You seem to have a point to make, that's fine, I have no idea what it is but have fun. I just use some of the best tripods available and buy them cheaper than their far eastern copies. You have your opinions - I and a few friends have our cheap Gitzo tripods:)

All the best.

Please refer to my post from Tuesday. All my Gitzo tripods (except the G1550T) were purchased from normal sources - namely a high street camera shop and the 4 series direct from Gitzo. So 3 of the 5 Gitzo tripods mentioned (+ the Mono Pod) were purchased from a high street store - I don't think UK camera shops are going to like you.

Then I sent a link to a considerably superior tripod for the bargain price of £160 that was immediately available and you still complain about waiting?

You have your opinions - I have my tripods and the receipts, I wonder who is the more experienced on this matter? You seem to have a point to make, that's fine, I have no idea what it is but have fun. I just use some of the best tripods available and buy them cheaper than their far eastern copies. You have your opinions - I and a few friends have our cheap Gitzo tripods:)

All the best.

John, you know about tripods, an expert even, you collect them.
You scour ebay frequently.
You know what you want.
You're happy to wait.
You know which models are what, including discontinued versions.
You know what to look for, the questions to ask, the pitfalls with used and abused tripods.
You know know much to pay.
You'e comfortable buying unseen, from a total stranger.

Most folks asking for tripod advice on here are probably none of those things.

I have a 3LT Brian and I really like it. I've had some lower cost lightweight tripods before and I think the 3LT is noticeably better in the details. There are some negatives that @mickledore touched on but I haven't experience all of those. Can definitely agree regarding it being fiddly to swap columns and with short one on, fitting in bag is difficult or maybe impossible, I forget. I use mine purely for travelling light though so I don't bother with longer column and don't bother with the case. Rarely fold it back on itself unless I'm packing it for travelling somewhere. Using it like this, I really like it. Worth saying though, that I think all of these very small/light tripods are a bit compromised and if it's practical I take my larger Gitzo.

I have a 3LT Dave, bought it from the camera show a few years back. It’s been brilliant if I am honest and does the job every time. It weighs around 2.2kg all in with the airhead which isn’t the lightest in the world however as I mainly enjoy landscape photography it’s fairly sturdy.

John, you know about tripods, an expert even, you collect them.
You scour ebay frequently.
You know what you want.
You're happy to wait.
You know which models are what, including discontinued versions.
You know what to look for, the questions to ask, the pitfalls with used and abused tripods.
You know know much to pay.
You'e comfortable buying unseen, from a total stranger.

Most folks asking for tripod advice on here are probably none of those things.

"John, you know about tripods, an expert even, you collect them". Thank you for the compliment (not sure I deserve it but thanks anyway!) - but I do not collect them, I just buy what I have a use for.

Buying "Sight unseen" well yes in the case of the G1550T, all the others (past and present) were bought from a bricks and mortar camera shop except one which was direct from Gitzo. I bought them because I could see how much better they were in the shop + their prices were excellent! Now if you are talking about cameras and lenses then I certainly have bought unseen (well E Bay) - my 1DX, 2 Big Whites etc would never have been owned by me otherwise:)

The OP asked for opinions on 3LT tripods and I have found them to be disappointing as well as being very expensive so I suggested Gitzo tripods which I find to be much better and, usually, cheaper. As to knowing the different models? Well at least Gitzo have a system, 3LT?!? What is a Brian? Whereas a GT2532 is a "T" tripod, "2" 2 series, "5" carbon fiber, "3" 3 leg section and "2" is version 2. A bit clunky I agree but at least there is a numbering system!

Anyway this is no longer helping the OP so I will leave it there.

Back