3 legged thing tripods

Edit My Images
No
Looking at getting a new tripod within the next few months as I'm hopefully off travelling the world over the summer. A friend pointed this company out, I've never heard of them..... www.3leggedthing.com/

Tripods look very nice indeed as do the heads, seems most of their stock is on backorder so can't be bad. The carbon X1 brian looks ideal for travelling, folds up small and very light while holding up to 8kg.

Does anyone have any experience with these?

Knock offs of a knock off!? :D
The detachable monopod leg screams benro travel angel, which is a knock off of the gitzo traveller.
I'd spend 100 quid less on the Benros for the same tripod.

Edit: Just checked the pictures, these look exactly the same as my travel angel, down to the CF sticker and the rubber linings on the ball head. Maybe they got Benro to customize the designs for them?

Last edited:
Thats the one.
Though as far as I know the all the retailers in UK stock the older model.
The ones you get from HK ebay sellers are the updated ones with better ball heads, and detachable leg.

Oh dear. They look nice enough, but their attempt at trendy marketing-on-acid is really naff. Frankly, pure bull. And not cheap.

They're over-branded Chinese clones, which is certainly no bad thing - could be Benro, Triopo, Feisol, etc etc - in candy colours masquerading as somehow different. That triple-extending centre column is certainly different, and a bad idea. Inspired by Brain May and Jimmy Page? Oh please :nono: :eek:

Vastly more choice at better prices on Benro here http://stores.ebay.com/DCs-Photogra...03155018&_sid=896782438&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322 Recommended supplier.

Have you had a look at the redsnapper ones - Joe offers a discount to TP members and the tripods are excellent (I have one, as do loads of others on here).

http://www.redsnapperuk.com/

To be fair, these Three Legged Things are in a different class to the RedSnappers. RS are brilliant value, but they can't compete with something costing three times the price.

Funny how they claim that their tripods are designed locally when everything about their tripod is a copy of the Benros. Man, even their packaging is exact! I'm less inclined to buy from a company with so much marketing crap.

I don't understand the comments on this thread - am I missing something or are the prices not the same between the Benro and 3LF?
I'd rather support a British company even if they are a bit wacky?

I just took delivery of an "eddie". I am very impressed by the size lightness and overall build quality. The fact that they are a UK company was the thing that swayed me towards them.

I can definitely recommend them.

I bought a Kirk, and I'm also very happy, I picked mine up from there showroom, very friendly place and Just wish I could splashed out to a carbon one.

Just suck it up and buy a Gitzo:D

In my experience, the copies are not as well finished and not exactly cheap either. Not come across these ones in the 'flesh' but I doubt I'd change my mind.

Just ordered a "Brian" kit, I'll post some thoughts on it and how it compares to my current 190xprob/488RC2 when it gets here.

Well "Brian" has just landed and I'm impressed with the attention to detail.

I'll try and post up some form of rambling review over the next few days hopefully.

Wow, they are overpriced for what they are.

Now let's buy some stock from poundland and rename it after some drummers and bassists and make a fortune. Sorted.

Do you think so? I don't think they're too bad a price for the quality.

The c/f Redsnapper and head combo comes in much cheaper at £180 but is heavier [by around 50%!], is longer and won't convert a leg to a monopod if required.

People mentioned Benro earlier in the thread, but I couldn't find a c/f travel angel/head for much cheaper, this one for instance: http://cgi.ebay.com/Benro-C2690TB1-Carbon-Fiber-Tripod-Kit-Express-Ship-/310305690614?pt=US_Tripods&hash=item483fa913f6#ht_8074wt_1141, that works out at £235 [excluding if you get stung for customs duty].

I'd rather have a local 5yr warranty than long distance support from China, but each to their own.

How does it measure up to the Manfrotto kit then? I would have thought by the looks of it that the 190xprob/488RC2 you have would have been better but maybe not?

Well I've only really had a chance to unbox it and have a very brief play, but I'd say it's much better so far.

The head is nicely made and doesn't creep like the 488 does, the finish of the 3LT is of a high quality, and I reckon the time for vibrations to dampen in the legs is much shorter than the 190xprob. Not to mention the 3LT set is nearly 1kg lighter than the Manfrotto set!

I'll try and post something more expansive and vaguely coherent later.

Cool glad you're happy with your new purchase. Nothing worse than getting all excited for a new toy and it being a dud so get out there and enjoy it.

BTW if your throwing out the 190x let me know so I can come and scavenge it from your wheelie bin :)

Here's Brian:

bjg3501.jpg

Thoughts and more pics to come later.

Last edited:
Here's Brian:

bjg3501.jpg

Thoughts and more pics to come later.

Must be really small & light, my old eyes cannot even see it :LOL:

It was not there the first time I posted....It looks quite well made.

Seriously, I hope you enjoy it, a good tripod is worth its weight in gold.

Last edited:
Lol! No your eyes did not deceive you, I posted a dud link initially.

OK, here's my thoughts on the "Brian" kit so far.

As you can see from the image above, the kit comes in a nice padded bag and comprises the X1 legs and B2s ball head. Also in the bag comes as small extension column [no, it's not a silencer!] that helps extend one of the legs when used as a monopod, a hex key to loosen/tighten the leg bolts and a cloth bag to protect the head.

The standard of fit and finish is very good, particularly the metal work/anodising. The carbon fibre isn't Gitzo standard, but then again, it's not Gitzo priced.

Here's a shot of the unit in its unfolded, unextended state:

web.jpg

As you can see, the legs come in 5 sections with anti-rotation twist locks that require a quarter twist to undo. With them extended to full height you get this:

web.jpg

Now those lower sections [like a lot of 5 section tripods] are relatively flimsy, but the tripod doesn't take long to dampen vibrations, even with them extended, but I'd recommend trying to not extend them if you can. The central column can also be removed completely [to further aid stability] and the head mounted directly to the legs, like so:

web.jpg

web.jpg

The central column can also be mounted inverted for low level shooting:

web.jpg

One of the legs can be unscrewed and used as a monopod, but it's just too short without the extension piece. This is how it all comes together:

web.jpg

The head appears well engineered, I can't readily make out a point where the stem meets the ball. The ball has a panning lock as well as a clutch control which allows for smooth movements. It takes Arca Swiss style plates, although I'd prefer a means of finger tightening the plate rather than using a coin on the supplied unit.

web.jpg

The ballhead is very sturdy with no creep. Here's my D2x mounted with a Sigma 135-400 on to demonstrate:

web.jpg

Ultimately however, this is why I bought it:

web.jpg

It's substantially lighter than my Manfrotto 190xprob and 488rc2 combo, nearly a kilogram or so. And it's significantly smaller and easier to carry.

Is it perfect then? Of course not. It is a little short, I'm 5' 9" and it's a good height for me, but if you were 6' 2" you might find it too low. The flimsy lower sections are a trade off to make it compact.

However, I do think it's quite good value for £260 and anyone looking for a carbon fibre traveller style tripod would do well to bear them in mind.

Last edited:
Hi Deckard,
I've been looking for a small (folded 34 to 45cm), light but sturdy tripod to carry with my Lowepro 202 for cycling and hiking...
  • Gitzo are too expensive
  • Manfrotto too long
  • Slik.. ? build quality / robustness
  • Giottos.. only Vitruvian goes that small and reviews have put me off
Looks like this might be it...
I'm interested in the capability of carrying & using it without the central column sometimes... Do you know how much would that reduce the weight by..?
Ian

Hi Ian, sorry haven't checked in on this thread for a while. I've removed the centre column and it weighs very little, I don't think you'd notice a significant difference.

if i'm not mistaken the 3 legged things are rebranded (chinese) triopo tripods, the only thing british about it is the brand marketing which is a bit of a miss for me personally... but i hope i'm the odd one out as they must be spending a fortune on advertising

Hi Deckard
I like your post regarding the 3 legged tripod. I am 6"2 and concerned about the height issue you mentioned. On the 3 legged website they say the max height for you tripod is 193cm which is pretty high!
Can you let me know what you mean by not being height enough, I am thinking of updating my rather short tripod I have.
Thanks

Hi Deckard
I like your post regarding the 3 legged tripod. I am 6"2 and concerned about the height issue you mentioned. On the 3 legged website they say the max height for you tripod is 193cm which is pretty high!
Can you let me know what you mean by not being height enough, I am thinking of updating my rather short tripod I have.
Thanks

There are usually two heights quoted in a tripod spec - without the centre column extended, and with it. 193cm will be the extended height.

Centre columns are very handy, but anything more than a couple of inches seriously compromises stability.

Well that max height is with the three part centre column fully extended which I wouldn't advocate in a million years.

In fairness it is just as tall as my 190xprob without the centre column extended, so take that as a guide.

As an update, the screw in ballast hook broke the other week. I contacted 3lt and spoke to one the main guys there and had a useful discussion. They sent me a new part via UPS sharpish and genuinely appeared glad to get feedback, apparently a mag alloy replacement is the works.

Other than that I've continued to be pleased with my tripod. Its low weight means it gets taken out where my Manfrotto wouldn't and it's acquitted itself well in wet and windy conditions too.

Must be really small & light, my old eyes cannot even see it :LOL:

It was not there the first time I posted....It looks quite well made.

Seriously, I hope you enjoy it, a good tripod is worth its weight in gold.
I'm looking at the new version but the legs looks smooth black... I prefer them like yours :/

[*]Giottos.. only Vitruvian goes that small and reviews have put me off

Hi IanCD, i'm curious as to what has put you off the Giottos. I've had a 8255 for about 18 months and had no problems with it at all. It doesn't replace my heavier tripod for those times i don't have to walk far but on those occasions I do, the Giottos is fantastic.

The 3LT does look nice, but tbh i would rather have something that didn't stand out quite so much - the Giottos has more subtle black castings.

cheers

bos

Wow, they are overpriced for what they are.

Now let's buy some stock from poundland and rename it after some drummers and bassists and make a fortune. Sorted.

Actually they are named after Guitarists.

Just got an Adrian s/h(unused though) from the classifieds and looks pretty good so far.

Just came across this thread, I purchased the X5 Frank, minus the head as I have fair better. I already have a Gitzo so price wise this was fairly well priced. To date I am very impressed although the marketing is aimed at someone a lot younger than me at 58yr. Quality wise the product is excellent & has proved to work very well indoors & outdoors. Like the monopod bit nice for travelling & conversion for head from a raising centre column to the small column (my choice) is good for macro work.

My only criticism is I wish they had included a locking screw for the head, does tend to come loose if you have the 360 swivel locked & try to move it. Minor really & I will modify as soon as I get to a REME workshop.

Has anybody compared these with Feisol tripods?

Looking to buy a very light tripod sometime soon and appreciate any advice.

Back