3 x 2 aspect is a pain!

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
Arrgh, ok, look yes i could go get a frame and mount made up, in fact just looked online at a site and a plain black frame with white mount for what i want would be 40 quid plus delivery!

So, basically ive 2 shots that are 15 x 10 inches and was looking for an ordinary frame from the range / hobbycraft / ikea you know the sort but can i find one can I heck.

Anyone know anyone else online maybe where i could get this for say a tenner per frame with mount ?

To make it straightforward you need a 30cm X 40cm sized frame with a custom cut mount with the aperture cut such that the right & left borders are equal and the top & bottom borders are equal as well.

Hope that makes sense........and I thought this was covered in another thread???

What I do is buy a frame that is suitably bigger than the print and get a mount cut at a local artists' suppliers. A window mount generally costs less than £5, actual cost depending on size.

To make it straightforward you need a 30cm X 40cm sized frame with a custom cut mount with the aperture cut such that the right & left borders are equal and the top & bottom borders are equal as well.

Hope that makes sense........and I thought this was covered in another thread???
I always like the bottom border to be wider than the top - it gives more balance to my eye.

A 300 x 400 frame might be a bit pinched. I have often used a stock 400 x 500 frame and like John, cut a mount aperture to suit a 10 x 15" print, having side and top borders equal and the lower border greater.

Use a good mount board if the picture's worth it, not one of the cheap (and often vulgarly-coloured) acidic ones. Conservation etc boards come in a non-bright white that works for most images, colour or mono.

Last edited:
What I do is buy a frame that is suitably bigger than the print and get a mount cut at a local artists' suppliers. A window mount generally costs less than £5, actual cost depending on size.

Yes :)

I always like the bottom border to be wider than the top - it gives more balance to my eye.

Fair comment but it does need more 'eye of the beholder' thinking and IMO works best if hung higher than eye-level???

A 300 x 400 frame might be a bit pinched. I have often used a stock 400 x 500 frame and like John, cut a mount aperture to suit a 10 x 15" print, having side and top borders equal and the lower border greater.

Use a good mount board if the picture's worth it, not one of the cheap (and often vulgarly-coloured) acidic ones. Conservation etc boards come in a non-bright white that works for most images, colour or mono.

Yes, I was posting via the smartphone and it just struck me again re the print size ~ FWIW I mounted 12 x 8 inch prints in the 40 x 30cm frames and used 50 x 40cm frames with 16 x 11 inch prints (just out of 3:2 ratio) But both using custom cut mounts ;) NB on the latter :scratches head: I need to check the print size again as I only did a few???

Edit ~ and yes all with archival grade mount board including the backing :)

Last edited:
aye, i think it will have to be a case of a custom mount in a 20 x 16 frame, I don't like the different size bottom mount but may well have to live with it :-/

These are a few year old to be fair and I make sure these days I shoot 4:3 native

Back