30 second Portrait

washed out and flat is enough

I don't think it was...but you know what to do if you really have that much of an issue with my critique, hit the RTM but and let one or more of the staff decide if I was out of order with my comments?

A decent photo gets maybe 2/3 replies, this gets 3 pages :shrug:

I know that feeling :shake: and with that for the time being I wasted to much of my time of this thread so am going to find something else to look at

I don't think it was...but you know what to do if you really have that much of an issue with my critique, hit the RTM but and let one or more of the staff decide if I was out of order with my comments?

cool thanks for the tip

To be honest I like the idea, but I feel the execution lets it down. And the b&w conversion just feels very flat. All just my opinion though obviously

Stephen, I'd be very interested to hear what you've learnt from this thread and what you'd do differently if you were to have another attempt at this kind of photo.

i would give it ago again, what would i do different, hmm i really dont know, from this thread, from what people have been saying about the face was as far as it go really, it never moved on from that

going to get my model a head brace so she cant move, but i like the exposure on the clothing and background, maybe as said above about changing the time of the day and think more about the light on the models face so much as the increase in light on the models face has over exposed, its not that far im sure photoshop can bring that back a bit
but i still like the idea of the long expose with a model

thanks for your comment

To be honest I like the idea, but I feel the execution lets it down. And the b&w conversion just feels very flat. All just my opinion though obviously

thanks for the comment, what do you think i should change to get it done better any tips?

with the welding glass it gives a green tone to everything, does make it a bit hard for the software to tell difference between tones, so some highs are like mids, can make separating the tones harder, should have brought it in to photoshop rather than lightroom and got down to dirty work

How about having a flash off camera pointing at the models face, and set it for rear curtain synch. This would, in effect freeze the model at the end of the exposure.

How about having a flash off camera pointing at the models face, and set it for rear curtain synch. This would, in effect freeze the model at the end of the exposure.

iv tried that before and it works well, but for this i didnt want to freeze,i wanted to capture 30secs rather than 1/200, i know i wanted her to sit like a rock for 30 secs, but i wanted to see the results of what happens

what i have learnt from taking the photo, the 5d2 starts to get a lot of hot pixels starting to appear at low iso

I'm only talking about firing fill flash at the end of the exposure though. So you would still have the effect of movement in the grass etc, but help the face to be sharp...

Anyway, just a suggestion.

I'm only talking about firing fill flash at the end of the exposure though. So you would still have the effect of movement in the grass etc, but help the face to be sharp...

Anyway, just a suggestion.

yea yea i know iv tried that before, but would it work for this? as if you fire at the end, the model has been there exposing on the sensor and if you flash at the end that movement would still be there? would it

Well the model would still need to sit as still as possible, but from the results of your first attempt, there isn't a massive area around her head where she has been moving. It may not completely eliminate 'all' blur from her, but it would certainly help I think.

Can I ask why it needs to be a 30 second exposure? You have advised it harks back to the days of past, but you really could get the better photo with similar movement of the grass at 2,3,4 seconds. The face would be alot sharper (ie in focus) and not over exposed. The photo is never going to work at 30 seconds unless you can be 100% sure the model isn't going to move and you can get it not to over expose.

Can I ask why it needs to be a 30 second exposure? You have advised it harks back to the days of past, but you really could get the better photo with similar movement of the grass at 2,3,4 seconds. The face would be alot sharper (ie in focus) and not over exposed. The photo is never going to work at 30 seconds unless you can be 100% sure the model isn't going to move and you can get it not to over expose.

thought i would give it a go, clearly not a good idea was it, is the face so badly over exposed?

The one thing I'll add is that I don't envy your model! You're going to have to buy her lots of nice presents if you want her to keep sitting completely still for 30 seconds :D Good luck!

It may just be exaggerated due to the motion blur? It's not massively blown, but again it's not something which would not have happened with a shorter exposure.

The one thing I'll add is that I don't envy your model! You're going to have to buy her lots of nice presents if you want her to keep sitting completely still for 30 seconds :D Good luck!

ah helen is great, she knows what im like and she doesn't complain at all and just does it, got to love her
she is my girlfriend

Well this thread has seemed to moved leaps and bounds from my first comment this morning :(

But something worth trying if you didn't want to try stacking some exposures...

What if you had the model lying down opposed to sitting up? Depends on the type of composition you are looking for, but having her head rested on the ground will allow a lot less movement in the subject and in your situation may work?

Well this thread has seemed to moved leaps and bounds from my first comment this morning :(

But something worth trying if you didn't want to try stacking some exposures...

What if you had the model lying down opposed to sitting up? Depends on the type of composition you are looking for, but having her head rested on the ground will allow a lot less movement in the subject and in your situation may work?

That's the thing getting a pose that is natural and compatible at the same time for the exposure length
I still say a head brace, keep her still and quite lol

That's the thing getting a pose that is natural and compatible at the same time for the exposure length
I still say a head brace, keep her still and quite lol

Haha lol, if it's your girlfriend it may come in handy for more than just the images lmao if she doesn't keep quiet :p

Back