300mm f2.8 and 500mm f4 or just a 400mm f2.8?

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
I own both the Nikon AF-S 300mm f2.8 VR and AF-S 500mm f4 VR and I've seen a couple of 400mm f2.8 FL's for sale which got me thinking. Should I trade in both for the 400mm or keep the 300mm and get the 400mm or leave it?
Where I live I'm lucky enough to walk round with the 300mm taking wildlife shots using my D850 or D500 while I'm walking the dogs on leads as the 300mm is just about easy enough to carry round. I always go out on my own with the 500mm, well at least I can know the lockdown has been lifted and not restricted to an hour out.
I shoot -well did - some motorsport and aviation too and the 300mm is superb for that but I know the 400mm is just an incredible lens and sort of the Pro's choice of lens. So as I said it got me thinking about the options I have. My worry owning just the 400mm is walking round with it, even the new lighter FL version and would I be more inclined leave it at home for my quick walks due to it's size and weight
Maybe keeping the 300mm and 500mm is the ideal set up and at least the bank account would be happier haha. And anyone who says just buy the 400mm and keep the others it's just not an option.

The 400 f2.8 is a superb lens giving excellent image quality, it also takes the best TC's well too.
On the down side the front lens is huge and can be a pain from smaller hide windows ... it is heavy but if the possible range works for you the IQ can't be beaten, I always regretted selling mine in the search for more reach.
Now if you could get a 400 f2.8 for when you know you are going to be serious and a 200-500 f5.6 for walking around I don't think you would go far wrong.

I used to have the same combination of 300f2.8 and 500f4 when I was doing motorsport and powerboat racing, when it was still wanted. I did also have a 400f2.8, but the weight of the 400f2.8 was significantly more than the 500f4. Walking around a track with them, was easier with my rucksack of lenses. One body with 300 and the other with 500. Trying to do the same with the 400 gave me a bad back! No problem with the 300 and 500 and other lenses on my back. Nowadays, with the ISO available you don't need to worry about that stop... working with Velvia (ISO 50) that stop was IMPORTANT. Now you have faster ISO available than we ever did - 800 was the end of the world, 400 was frowned upon and for serious work it was Velvia 50 or Provia 100 only. You have the ablity to work with ISO 200, which is luxury!

Back