300mm lenses for Nikon D3100

Name
William
Edit My Images
No
i have been looking at a sigma 70-300mm lens for my Nikon D3100 and i'm just wondering if the auto focus would work on my D3100 and roughly how much they are worth.

Depends on the exact model. Most of the modern ones Will work fine.

They are worth about £50 used, they aren't really very good lenses, especially at the long end, but it does a job.

For the D3100, you'll need any Sigma lens to have the suffix HSM to AF. Nikon's designation is AF-S.

Personally, if I were looking for a cheap telephoto lens I would go for the Nikon 55-200 or 55-300, the cheap Sigmas really aren't up to much.

For the D3100, you'll need any Sigma lens to have the suffix HSM to AF. Nikon's designation is AF-S.

I believe a couple of the older sigma 70-300s aren't denoted HSM, but do still have focus motors, just to confuse things.

the Sigma ones marked APO are worth the premium over the DG, the Tamron is reputedly sharper at the long end but does suffer from Chromatic aberration more...why not look for a Nikkor 70-300 in the classifieds?

I know where you can get a mint Nikon AF-S VR 70-300 f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED for £260 delivered

Not in classifieds yet but can soon be added!

They will autofocus depending on the exact model number but honestly they aren't that great quality - image sharpness decreases dramatically once you go past 150mm. As others have said, it's better just to spend the extra few £s to get the Nikon equivalent. You'll know at least its good quality glass.

I used my Nikon 70-300 VR on my 3100 before upgrading to the D7000.
Cracking lens, not cheap but very good.

im a canon user so not familiar with nikons and their auto focus system compatibilities, but I own a Tamron 70-300mm f4-5.6 VC Di USD (full title so its easier for you to find it :p) and its brilliant bang for the buck. I bought mine from Wex for 289, and its sharper than its canon equivalent lens per reviews on the internet and sharper than my old canon 75-300 by my own testing. The VC is incredible on it, almost too stable it sticks a little when panning :LOL: worth a look imo

Back