32gb CF Card - £57!!!

I meant about people who have had security problems on their credit card after purchasing items at 7 day shop. There was a thread about this last week.

I used them before / during / and after the thread & I've had no problems :clap:

but I've yet to visit my new house in Nigeria :shrug:

;)

I meant about people who have had security problems on their credit card after purchasing items at 7 day shop. There was a thread about this last week.

Wasn't aware of that problem (dashes off to check bank statement!!)

But why a 32GB card talk about putting all your eggs in one basket,if the card corrupts with about 1500 irreplaceable shots in it what are you going to do,it may cost more but I would go for 8x 4GB cards

But why a 32GB card talk about putting all your eggs in one basket,if the card corrupts with about 1500 irreplaceable shots in it what are you going to do,it may cost more but I would go for 8x 4GB cards

biggest card ive got it 4gb, as you say theres gotta be alot of trust in it to allow 32gb of data in one place

Yeh i have heard about the card copying from them, could be legit and somebody has managed to hack into the site maybe and their fault but its a risk!

Not sure on the 32gig. too much data in once place might be bad!

How many people have had a "card go bad" and how is it any different than yesteryear when 8mb SmartMedia cards were just out and people thought "oh, dont know if I want to put so much data on there - I'll stick with my 2mb cards" :D

How many people have had a "card go bad" and how is it any different than yesteryear when 8mb SmartMedia cards were just out and people thought "oh, dont know if I want to put so much data on there - I'll stick with my 2mb cards" :D

I've often thought the same thing. The only reason I really use smaller cards is in case I lose them, rather than the card corrupting!

I stick to 4gb cards as it means that when I load them onto the PC I can burn them straight onto DVD at the same time. Saves me having to back them up later.

I do have a couple of 8gb cards that I use if I am somewhere where I dont want to be changing cards all of the time.

32gb does seem a tad excessive at the moment but with the way the cameras are evolving there will be a time soon when we NEED them this size.

I have never heard of anyone having problems with cards that could not have been avoided.

Agreed. The same comments were made when 1 and 2GB cards were being introduced and people were saying stick to 512MB cards for safety.

Had my first ever SD card failure two weeks ago, I think it was a problem with the laptop card socket (where it was used as a second drive) but never the less I can no longer access the card to get any of the data from it.

Agreed. The same comments were made when 1 and 2GB cards were being introduced and people were saying stick to 512MB cards for safety.

its not the physical size that people worry about. i have no doubt that the 32gb card is just as safe as a 1gb card.

The worry is "IF" something did corrupt and the card was unreadable, less images would be lost.

in 10 years when we are all using 35mp cameras with massive file sizes we will all be using 32gb cards as 256gb cards are too much of a risk.

4GB cards are my limit, exactly for the reasons stated above

I am going to counter with: the smaller the card you use, the more times you have to insert and change the cards in the camera. This will actually increase your risk of the card being damaged or currupted much more then having a bigger card. Also the more cards you have, the more chance of one being lost.

If you take the chance of a card going bad as X, then the chance of two cards going bad is not twice, but Squared!!! So you are far far far worse off using 2 4 gig cards vs 1 8 gig card. So if you used 8 4 gig cards vs 1 32 gig card, I would say that there is 32 times (I think my math is not so good but you get the point) more chance of you lossing an image using the 4 gig cards vs the 32 gig card, and that is not taking into account the possibility of you lossing a card.

Taking that into consideration, which would you choose?

P.S.: And lets not get into the chances of a card going bad when you format it, which you have to do more often with smaller cards.

I stick to 4gb cards as it means that when I load them onto the PC I can burn them straight onto DVD at the same time. Saves me having to back them up later.

I've never thought about this. Everything just goes on my external hard drive. That's made me rethink my storage plan. I'm going to go buy a load of blank DVDs. My photo archive is currently at 70 gigs and a lot of them are images I probably will never use (bad images/repeat images.. I just dump everything from CF card to external hard drive).

Maybe I should keep everything on DVD-R and keep files that I use on my external drive. Hmmmm..

I've never thought about this. Everything just goes on my external hard drive. That's made me rethink my storage plan. I'm going to go buy a load of blank DVDs. My photo archive is currently at 70 gigs and a lot of them are images I probably will never use (bad images/repeat images.. I just dump everything from CF card to external hard drive).

Maybe I should keep everything on DVD-R and keep files that I use on my external drive. Hmmmm..

A program like Lightroom 2 is really good for quickly trimming the keepers from the baddies. You can simply white flag the keepers and mark with a X those you don't want to keep and LR will do the rest...

It does help double clicking on the image to assess OOF, blur etc. before deciding..

Just an idea to help you keep on top of your images..

Mods, apologies if this is drifting a little OT :coat:

A program like Lightroom 2 is really good for quickly trimming the keepers from the baddies. You can simply white flag the keepers and mark with a X those you don't want to keep and LR will do the rest...

It does help double clicking on the image to assess OOF, blur etc. before deciding..

Just an idea to help you keep on top of your images..

Mods, apologies if this is drifting a little OT :coat:

I use Aperture and the process is to download them all onto an external hard drive, back them up onto DVD, format the card and then transfer the keepers onto the laptop hard drive using Aperture.

Back