35 film suggestions

Edit My Images
No
I have only ever used fuji superia in the past and wanted to try something a little exotic.

After seeing the lovely photos taken by Jgredlines daughter I have put an Ilford XP2 in the basket but what other colour films could I try?

I like the results of the portra 160vc and ektacolour films. Do they come in 35mm format too? I am particularly after the ones that give a unique and colourful look. Also if you have any that you would like to sell I would be interesting in buying a couple for trying out.

Thanks!

Is it just colour neg / print film you wanting advice on?

Plus what is your subject matter?

Do you just want colour process films? If not try some HP5+, its grainy in a good way and gives beautiful B&W photos.

Is it just colour neg / print film you wanting advice on?

Plus what is your subject matter?

subject matter would be people and perhaps landscapes

colour and b&w please!

Do you just want colour process films? If not try some HP5+, its grainy in a good way and gives beautiful B&W photos.

could you please explain the difference? :help:

Certain B&W films can be processed using the colour processing method (C41) so can be processed by any lab that will do your colour films. Certain others require a specific B&W process (which is actually very simple and can be done easily at home- well at least more easily than colour!) that only labs that do this can do. So the Ilford HP5+ is a film requiring B&W specific processing whereas the XP2 can be processed using the C41 colour method.

Reala :crying: (For when you feel subtle)

Yeah, this is what I use and would highly reccomend it :)

Legacy Pro b&w. I've had some great results and its cheap. Digital Truth sell it in the UK.

Andy

thanks for the suggestions so far. So i'm going to buy a roll of Ilford XP2 and HP5+

What about colour films?

As an all round colour neg film, I quite enjoyed the half dozen rolls of Ektar 100 I shot earlier in the year, decent bold colours without being Velvia-Wild, and seemed to render skin-tones a bit better than Fuji (if that's important to you - for what I shoot, generally people are at best mobile foreground interest, at worst a flaming nuisance that I wish would just bob-off!)

Rather than XP2 you could try Fuji Neopan 400CN (like I am at the moment, although I haven't finished a roll yet). It's a bit cheaper than XP2 from 7dayshop and is supposed to be less prone to colour shifts when printed on colour print paper rather than proper B&W paper.

To be honest, all the chromagenic (c41 process) B&W films are much the same - 400iso not particularly grainy films - the difference between the 3 types (XP2,Neopan 400CN or Kodak T400CN) is far less than the difference you'd get from one high street lab to another. For me, it's a simple choice - what's cheapest and in stock :shrug:

Hsuffyan,

You are buying two films that you can develop at home. I am just into this stage of film photography myself. This is my thread on the subject <LINK> and I have learnt a great deal from the people on here.

You CAN send these films off to be developed but it is not as cheap as the high street.

If you want to develop them yourself it is surprisingly simple!

You will need a dark bag (£15 on ebay) - This is like a jumper with a zip at the end you would pull over your head and the neck sewn up :) You put the film, developing tank, scissors and bottle opener inside and zip it up then stick your arms inside to remove the film from the film can and stick it into the developing tank.

So ..... dark bag, developing tank, scissors, bottle opener, clock with second hand/timer, thermometer, 3 old pyrex pint glasses (or similar) and a cat litter tray :) Plus the chemicals.

It took me 5 minutes to master removing the film from the can and sticking it into the dev tank. Once it is inside that then the rest is absolutely simple and is just a case of pouring 3 chemicals in and then out again at the right times whilst agitating the tank at the right times.

Oh and if you want to give it a try then I have lots of spare bits and pieces which you are welcome to for the cost of the postage. I can give you a developing tank and an old colour film can to practice with. If you decide to print your own I have a spare enlarger now too.

And what Darren forgot to mention, is just how satisfying it is to see your very own negatives coming out of the developing tank and hanging up to dry! That warm glow of "all my own work" :)

And what Darren forgot to mention, is just how satisfying it is to see your very own negatives coming out of the developing tank and hanging up to dry! That warm glow of "all my own work" :)

I think I mentioned that once or twice on my thread :D

I want that again from the printing and after Sunday I am off for my op so as soon as I am well enough I should have a chance to get some done. Will need to set it all up first though as those enlargers are heavy :D

What about colour films?

Well you have to try films yourself as every one has many views, but my suggestion are and IMO:- Fuji superia 200asa is the best general purpose film, for something faster Kodak Ultramax 400asa I'm pleased with the low grain or something slower Fuji Reala 100 asa...great for landscapes.
Also for inside churches etc I've used Fuji 1600 asa and it's quite good with grain and colours,

I have only used a few colour films. The nicest I have yet tried was given to me to use for practicing loading the film can but luckily I got some other stuff for that. I really liked Kodak Ektar 25 but it is VERY slow and you will probably need a tripod or LOTS of light. I used it taking pictures of the church near where I grew up with the camera on a tripod and really liked the results.

Hsuffyan,

You are buying two films that you can develop at home. I am just into this stage of film photography myself. This is my thread on the subject <LINK> and I have learnt a great deal from the people on here.

You CAN send these films off to be developed but it is not as cheap as the high street.

If you want to develop them yourself it is surprisingly simple!

You will need a dark bag (£15 on ebay) - This is like a jumper with a zip at the end you would pull over your head and the neck sewn up :) You put the film, developing tank, scissors and bottle opener inside and zip it up then stick your arms inside to remove the film from the film can and stick it into the developing tank.

So ..... dark bag, developing tank, scissors, bottle opener, clock with second hand/timer, thermometer, 3 old pyrex pint glasses (or similar) and a cat litter tray :) Plus the chemicals.

It took me 5 minutes to master removing the film from the can and sticking it into the dev tank. Once it is inside that then the rest is absolutely simple and is just a case of pouring 3 chemicals in and then out again at the right times whilst agitating the tank at the right times.

Oh and if you want to give it a try then I have lots of spare bits and pieces which you are welcome to for the cost of the postage. I can give you a developing tank and an old colour film can to practice with. If you decide to print your own I have a spare enlarger now too.

Wow! thanks for the help and kind offer with spare equipment. I'd be more than happy to pay over and above the postage.

I've got a 5month old baby, so is the developing process harmful in anyway? Ofcourse the chemicals would be boxed and locked up somewhere safe. Also i'm renting, so is there any chance that an accident during the development process could spoil things like carpet and furniture? My wife used to develop her own films back in uni so she could help me out, but she doesn't encourage my photography pursuits anymore (she adopts the 'give em and inch and they'll take a mile' type attitude with me now :LOL:)

Wow! thanks for the help and kind offer with spare equipment. I'd be more than happy to pay over and above the postage.

I've got a 5month old baby, so is the developing process harmful in anyway? Ofcourse the chemicals would be boxed and locked up somewhere safe. Also i'm renting, so is there any chance that an accident during the development process could spoil things like carpet and furniture? My wife used to develop her own films back in uni so she could help me out, but she doesn't encourage my photography pursuits anymore (she adopts the 'give em and inch and they'll take a mile' type attitude with me now :LOL:)

The development process is very simply really. I would suggest a piece of marine plywood half as long as your bath with two pieces of wood attached to the bottom. This will fix it over the bath and you have running water at the other end. The chemicals do state HARMFUL on them but you are not going to bath in it and most people will find that the chemicals have no effect on them at all. Rubber gloves would be enough really and making sure that you clean up any spills.

I would get the film into the film tank in the comfort of your living room which is fine then transfer to the bathroom. Can you pour liquid from one container to another without spilling them? If so no problems !! If you use one shot chemicals then they just get binned anyway.

What about Velvia 100F? Seen some stunning prints from this...

You can get lovely prints from slide film, yes - I've seen some fantastic Cibachromes (now Ilfochromes ??) but they certainly used to be pretty expensive to have done. Otherwise, you're down to scanning the Slide and getting a normal digital print done - which can be fine, but really all depends on the quality of the scan you can get out of the slide.

Back