350d-400d first camera

Edit My Images
Yes
Hey all,

im looking at buying my first SLR and im interested in the canon 350 and 400d models,

ive read the differences but it still seems abit gobbledegoop to me, so could anyone give me abit of a dummies guide to the differences ?

its mostly going to be used for wildlife/reptile and ice hockey photos with abit of motorsport once a year.

thanks for anyhelp

Kev

The 400D is better becuase:

Better sensor (higher quality photos).
Bigger LCD.
Faster FPS (more images per second, the 400D can take 3 per second, the 350D takes 2.8).
Better autofocus (the 400D has 9 AF points meaning it has faster, more accurate focusing).
Better (more) focus modes (the 350D just has auto and manual, the 400D has three which can be good in different circumstances).

Bigger LCD.
Faster FPS (more images per second, the 400D can take 3 per second, the 350D takes 2.8).
Better autofocus (the 400D has 9 AF points meaning it has faster, more accurate focusing).
Better (more) focus modes (the 350D just has auto and manual, the 400D has three which can be good in different circumstances).

thankyou for that, so are you saying the 400d is worth the hundred pounds or so extra it will cost me ? will i reap the advantages of it as a new user ?

also, is there anything i should specifically look out for if i decide to purchase a 2nd hand camera ?

thanks

kev

Well, as your first camera either is fine, they both do more or less the same thing except the 400D is slightly better.

If you can afford it, then go for the 400D as when you start to learn how to use it well, some of it's features will come in handy.

The newest version in the series, the 450D is just about to come out (within the month), priced at about £500 but you get alot more features than the 400D (even better sensor, liveview, better autofocus, bigger LCD plus more).

When looking for a 2nd hand camera the things you should look out for are:

Shutter life - ALWAYS ask the seller how many photos the camera has taken. It's like mileage on a car - you want it to be as small as possible. The 350D and 400D have a shutter life expectancy of about 50,000 frames. I woulden't buy one that's got over 35,000.

Body - Make sure you can get photos of the body from evey angle, you want to look for one that's got as few marks and scratches as possible (as this odviously denotes how well the camera was taken care of).

After those two points just look at the camera as any other kind of electronic equipment, look at the age (if it's under a year old will probably still include a warrenty).

They are both good cameras but the 350d is cheaper but the 400d can be cheaper when in sets with other things. though theres is very little difference between the camera i think theres about 2 more mega pixels and the screen is bigger on the 400d and i think the 400d may be easier for a beginner to use.

Ok, so i went with the 400d, and i got an absolute steal on it.... i got it with the standard 18-55mm lens and also a tamron 55-200mm lens.

however, it wasnt from a camera shop, it was from one of these cash converter shops.... there was two i was looking at, one of which the man who was serving me brought out without a lens one the body, no cover and his finger partially in the lens hole.... so tha kinda put me off, but this one appeared to be kept with the lens on..

my question now is, i notice someone on here did a *dust* test, is there any test liek this i can do to see what kinda shape the camera is in ?

Thanks

Kev

I personally prefer the 350d. Having used both, I can honestly say that the extra megapixels don't make much difference, and I think having a smaller screen above the preview screen for settings is a much better way to have things.

Only thing on the 400d which makes a huge difference is the size of the preview screen, but I don't think its worth the extra.
Having said that, both excellent cameras, and you'd have been happy with either. (y)

How's the sensor better?
It's newer and has higher resolution, but fro what I've seen, it raw output is a little better from the 350D.

How do nine AF points translate into faster focusing?
If it focuses faster, it's most likely due to an improved AF module, not more AF points.

it may not be that much better, but when i got the 400d in silver with the 2 lenses, boxed and looking in great condition for £250 it was most certainly worth it :D

could someone please help me out with my original question though ? is there a condition/dust test i can do to check out the health of the camera ?

Thanks

Kev

You could simply take a picture of a uniform light colour...and see if any dust spots come up on the picture....

If they do...get the sensor cleaned...

could someone please help me out with my original question though ? is there a condition/dust test i can do to check out the health of the camera?
You could simply take a picture of a uniform light colour...and see if any dust spots come up on the picture....

If they do...get the sensor cleaned...
Like superstat says, any uniform light colour will do - a magnolia wall, a blue sky, etc. Make sure it's completely uniform though, because you need to be confident that any spots you see on the picture are evidence of sensor dust rather than spots on the subject! Also, use a small aperture (e.g. f/22). You won't see any sensor dust if you shoot at a large aperture like f/4. And examine the photo at 100% magnification on a PC; you won't see the dust spots on the camera's preview screen.

The 400 has a self cleaning sensor unit.

It has a bigger lcd screen, I have the 350d and really like the extra green screen above the main lcd, it can be lit up when shooting at night. The 400's screen is much better for reviewing your shots.

Image quality they are pretty much the same, the 400 slightly higher pixels.

The 350 has the same three focus modes as the 400

They both shoot at 3fps but the 400 can keep it up for 27 shots, the 350 only 14

Back