350D + what?!

Name
Hannah
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi peeps!
im looking into getting my first DSLR in a few weeks and was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to anything else i might need to go with it to kind of get me started? i spose mainly a memory card and kinda the basics really as i dont have much money! haha
ta :)

A lens will see you make great strides in your quest, young Skywalker.....:p

Memory card, flash, tripod, shutter release cable.....aaaand a.......Ferrari to put it all in.

Haha yea dont worry i will be getting a lens with it! :p will the flash that comes installed in the camera be ok to start off with do u reckon?

Yes, start off with the basics and then build on that as you find where your priorities lie. Your first lens purchase would probably be best to be the good old "nifty fifty" - 50mm f1.8. A cracking piece of kit and best of all is the price - it can be had for around the £60 mark!

Enjoy!

I think she could use the Ferrari headlights to good effect...

Srsly tho, you need to do some shooting to decide what area of photography you prefer/enjoy, then you can buy kit as you go along to suit that particular genre..

Yea thats what i was thinking joxby.. as for the ferrari, i'll have to work on that one!

Yes, start off with the basics and then build on that as you find where your priorities lie. Your first lens purchase would probably be best to be the good old "nifty fifty" - 50mm f1.8. A cracking piece of kit and best of all is the price - it can be had for around the £60 mark!

Enjoy!

and thanks for this advice witch! :D

Just have the bare camera at first.
Then see what you feel you need.
My first purchase was the Sigma 70-300mm APO DG lens, because I wanted that extra reach.

My second purchase was a Peleng (bit dodgy) fisheye lens because I wanted that distortion for landscapes and sports shots.
My third purchase was the nifty fifty, because I wanted it for portraits.
My fourth purchase was the bg-e3 battery grip, because I'd been looking to get one, and the price was nice.
My fifth purchase will be the Canon 430ex flashgun, because I need one!

Depends what you're wanting to concentrate on, mate, but as the others have advised well. Get that 50mm 1.8, it's cheap, it's cheerful, and you'll realise that your camera isn't completely useless in low light ;)

I bought my 350D in April, with the kit lens. Since then my kit progression (chronologically) has been:

Canon 50mm f/1.8
Tamron 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 (now sold)
Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5
Canon BG-E3 grip
Sigma APO macro 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 (now sold)
Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 (now sold)
Canon 430EX Speedlite
Canon 70-200mm f/4 L

Phew! And about 4000 pictures in 8 months. The best bang for the buck was definitely the nifty 50 - such a sharp low-light lens for less than £60 from Kerso.

Had my 350d couple of months now and love it :)

Upto now:
I got a free crumpler bag, which is ideal for wandering around, with a subscription to dslruser magazine.
An extra battery for 49p from ebay :)
A T55 tripod with ball head from smick trading, definately need one for landscape shots
Extra memory card, Sandisk 2gb, The 1gb card I had gets filled up quick shooting in raw.
A Spudz lens cloth for 2.99 off ebay.
A rocket blower thingy from local camera shop for 7.99
Just ordered a Tamron 28-75 lens can't wait for it to arrive.

Two books I can recommend, Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson and The Photographers Eye by Michael Freeman. Both are fantastic :)

I have had my 350d for about 3 weeks now, i am just starting to get used to the basics and what the camera can do. I have the Kit lens & sigma 70-300 APO, but i am looking at getting the 70-200 F/4 and 50mm 1.8 as they are the lenses that everyone seems to use.

First thing i bought was a 4gb card (fast one) and a spare pair of batteries, cos as a newbi i think im a bit trigger happy and filled the 1gb card, that i got with the camera, up in about 1 hour! :bonk:

I got a camera bag from curry's for £14.99, and a monopod from fleabay, just waiting on them to arrive.

Now if there was anywhere i could buy some talent, that would be good!

If your after a bag cheap PM me as i have a lowepro 170 AW bag which i,ve never used,it,s still in the wrapper, i was going to put it up for sale on ebay, but i can let you have it for a cheap price £15 + p&p...........MODS hope this is ok if not please just edit the price out thanks.

take a look here and here

At this stage Han, I'd suggest not getting a battery grip or flash or anything like that. It's not necessary. The built in flash will be fine for the beginning.

Upon the assumption that you get a Kit lens (18-55mm) with the body, (A safe assumption really,) the next thing you will need is a memory card. Now as it's a Canon, the chances are its a Compact Flash card you will need. If so, get this one...

http://www.play.com/Electronics/Ele...isk-Extreme-III-CompactFlash-2GB/Product.html

Play are really good. Quick delivery, reliable, and no worries about being sent a fake card.

Following this, The next essential would be a camera bag. Of course it would be silly to get a bag that can only carry the camera with just the kit lens on, because when/if you get more kit, you want to be able to take that places as well :D. Something like (doesn't have to be exactly) this:

http://www.lowepro.com/Products/Shoulder_Bags/classic/Nova_3_AW.aspx

As for where to get camera bags... Either on here or on ebay is generally a good bet.

These are the essentials really. Anything after this is up to you. for instance.

If you find that a spare battery is a good idea, then its probably best to go for a battery grip. As someone has already said, doubles the battery life as the camera now holds and runs off two batteries, and the handling and functionality of the camera is much improved.

If you find you like shooting at long distances outdoors, then a telephoto lens such as the Sigma or canon 70-300mm might be a good idea, and can alsobe gotten fairly cheaply either on here or on ebay.

If you find you like shooting indoors for fassion or portraits, then a wide aperture prime, such as the nifty fifty (50mm f1.8, or if money is not so much of an issue, the f1.4 version) might be a good idea, as well as a flash gun.

Or if you are more interested in close up shots, a macro lens such as the sigma 105mm or the tamron 90mm might be a good idea :)

The list goes on! As said though, these are all optional. But the main things to go for, as said, are the memory card and camera bag.

HTH! :)

Hmm thanks everyone! i should def be able to get myself started with that advice!! i imagine il start off with an extra memory card and camera bag and then work my way up when i can afford to! :p

Back