35l and 85l portrait shoot.

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
No
I have a set of photos I did the other day. There are some multiples of photos with different processing. Comments appreciated.
They are in a private Flickr set so you will need the link
Guest Pass

Last edited:
Any thoughts? I know there has been 42 uses if the guest pass. Surely someone must have something to say????

I have a set of photos I did the other day. There are some multiples of photos with different processing. Comments appreciated.
They are in a private Flickr set so you will need the link
http://flickr.com/gp/amtaylorphotography/WME67v

If they are private then we will not be able to view them anyway, I suggest that you post a few that you want feedback on and post them here (y) This is TalkPhotography the forum etiquette is to post photos, most and that includes me will not click a link or thumbnail the image needs to be in the thread and viewable to a useful size in the thread to be able to properly appreciate the images, you can post up to 1024px on the longest edge on this forum (y)

Matt
MWHCVT

The link allows you to view them, hence the guest pass comment. And people have been looking at them. If you don't want to fair enough. Im not after specific comments just thought people might like to see the set and comment. The couple are very pleased with anyway which is what matters.

Post a few of your favorites and link the rest. :)

If you really want to look i will put them back up I'm just tired of the post pictures on the thread or we won't look. It seemed a bit too much hassle.

Please. first time I had seen the post & went straight to the link

Come on mate no need for the drama. People like to see them in thread that's all.

Has to be the woodland shots for me, some excellent DOF & lovely sharp images, with great colour.

joescrivens said:
Come on mate no need for the drama. People like to see them in thread that's all.

If they werent on as private its simple but I don't won't to mess about with resizing and uploading again. I understand people like to see them in the thread and normally I would if I have a specific purpose just not in this case.

Blue Eagle said:
Good shots :) Natural expressions as well so you must have been getting on well with them

They are actually good friends and I gave them a very cheap deal as it was their anniversary. Thanks for the comments.

If you really want to look i will put them back up I'm just tired of the post pictures on the thread or we won't look. It seemed a bit too much hassle.

So it's too much hassle for you to link a few pictures in a thread that YOU want feedback on, yet those of whom you ask to give up their time to give feedback have to go to the hassle of visiting an external site and then come back and give you feedback?

And you wonder why you've not had many comments?

:shake:

Tbabe said:
Has to be the woodland shots for me, some excellent DOF & lovely sharp images, with great colour.

Yeah, they are my favourite too. I didn't even know the place existed but my wife pointed out there was a country park just down the road and it was lovely.

Simmotino said:
So it's too much hassle for you to link a few pictures in a thread that YOU want feedback on, yet those of whom you ask to give up their time to give feedback have to go to the hassle of visiting an external site and then come back and give you feedback?

And you wonder why you've not had many comments?

:shake:

You can't share private ones on the thread as far as I'm aware which is why I havent this time. And the reason why I asked about comments is it had lots of visits from the link.
I respect peoples opinions on this but I don't want to keep explaining the same thing. If you don't want to visit then don't, I'm not forcing anyone.

Far too many to give critique on....lol.

Nice work, I would watch the soft glow look in some of the woodland shots as it looks a tad naff.

I would like to see a strong B&W in the set too.

Last edited:
You can't share private ones on the thread as far as I'm aware which is why I havent this time. And the reason why I asked about comments is it had lots of visits from the link.
I respect peoples opinions on this but I don't want to keep explaining the same thing. If you don't want to visit then don't, I'm not forcing anyone.

Yes Andy but you are trying to force people to give you C&C ..it works both ways.

Find some that the couple will let you share and post those on here....simples.

tiler65 said:
Far too many to give critique on....lol.

Nice work, I would watch he soft glow look in some of the woodland shots as it looks a tad naff.

I would like to see a strong B&W in the set too.

Yeah I'm not much for it but the couple really wanted some of them. I really couldn't find many that suited mono very well. I normally would do lots in mono. They just all seemed better in colour no matter how hard I tried tweaking the b&w. Cheers

tiler65 said:
Yes Andy but you are trying to force people to give you C&C ..it works both ways.

Find some that the couple will let you share and post those on here....simples.

I'm not. I was just hoping that after about 50 people had looked at them I might have got some comments. It doesn't matter though. It's not a big deal.

I have looked at the studio ones too and I feel they all have a magenta/pinkish tint to them which looks a bit too cold.

tiler65 said:
I have looked at the studio ones too and I feel they all have a magenta/pinkish tint to them which looks a bit too cold.

Yeah perhaps your right. I might revisit them.

some lovely shots Andy as mentioned too many to comment on individual pics, it looks a lovely setting, bet you will go back there in the future

bigave said:
some lovely shots Andy as mentioned too many to comment on individual pics, it looks a lovely setting, bet you will go back there in the future

Yeah definitely. I'm keeping it in mind for wedding photos too

as they are friends andy did you find it harder to direct them into what you wanted than if they were strangers, i shot a couple of friends today and felt a right tit because they were a couple of mates:LOL:

bigave said:
as they are friends andy did you find it harder to direct them into what you wanted than if they were strangers, i shot a couple of friends today and felt a right tit because they were a couple of mates:LOL:

No I found it a bit easier actually. I guess it depends on who they are and what your relationship is like but I enjoy doing shots of friends if they want to be shot. Weddings for friends where some of the guests are friends can be a nightmare as they think they don't have to listen to what you ask.

I really like the photos with one of each of them... It took me a while to realise it was either two of the girl or two of the guy in some, and that was - to me - a bit strange. But they aren't meant for me, so ignore this first point.

Regarding the rest, I actually really like most of them - the lighting seems great, there are some lovely expressions (although there are some where that expression could be turned that much more towards the camera to get a better 'feel' to the photos.

Either way, I'm sure your friends are thrilled because they all seem to capture the fun and personality.

And *chuckles* at the posters too lazy to use the guest pass... His thread; his rules (where they don't clash with The Rules).

mrthingyx said:
I really like the photos with one of each of them... It took me a while to realise it was either two of the girl or two of the guy in some, and that was - to me - a bit strange. But they aren't meant for me, so ignore this first point.

Regarding the rest, I actually really like most of them - the lighting seems great, there are some lovely expressions (although there are some where that expression could be turned that much more towards the camera to get a better 'feel' to the photos.

Either way, I'm sure your friends are thrilled because they all seem to capture the fun and personality.

And *chuckles* at the posters too lazy to use the guest pass... His thread; his rules (where they don't clash with The Rules).

Thanks for comments. Yeah we had a bit of a laugh with the clones shots and it took a bit of pp to get them rightish. I can see that its something not everyone would like and could become tacky if overused. I don't really enjoy the studio ones as much as I end up doing them in my living room and not having enough lighting I end up having to do lots of pp to get the background completely white and its never perfect doing it that way. Im going to get a larger vinyl background instead of the sheet I use as I have a little one that I use for products and its so much better. Either way I still much prefer my outdoor ones and really view the studio ones as a bit of fun.
Cheers
Andy

The shots look nicely lit and processed to my eye. You've captured some good expressions too.

However, the cutouts need some work. You have some edge pixels showing (particularly around the hair) and some quite inaccurate paths around some of the edges. Some look a little jagged/innaccurate and others are too soft/feathered. They're not far off but need a little more work in my opinion.

It's obviously going to be a complete pain in the arse to make the cutouts more accurate (and maybe the faults aren't noticeable to the clients?) but I think you could get some strong portfolio shots with a little more work on them.

SummerSound said:
The shots look nicely lit and processed to my eye. You've captured some good expressions too.

However, the cutouts need some work. You have some edge pixels showing (particularly around the hair) and some quite inaccurate paths around some of the edges. Some look a little jagged/innaccurate and others are too soft/feathered. They're not far off but need a little more work in my opinion.

It's obviously going to be a complete pain in the arse to make the cutouts more accurate (and maybe the faults aren't noticeable to the clients?) but I think you could get some strong portfolio shots with a little more work on them.

Cheers for the comments. Your right about the cutouts. I spent so long on the whole lot that I didn't have any more available time to give to them but maybe I shall have a play with them when I have a bit more time.
Regards

Dervish99 said:
Your the one looking for critique, if you cannot be arsed to post the images people won't be arsed to go looking for them:shrug:

And yet they will be bothered to post asinine remarks it seems

The guest pass worked for me but I would have preferred to see 'the best' posted in the thread with a link to the rest. Not going to get all hand-baggy about it though; that's already been done to death. As for the pics, I like the way that you have made it relaxed and spontaneous, you should be pleased as should the subjects.

Thought I recognized something Bridgnorth railway bridge. Very nice photos like them.

Back