Beginner 35mm and 50mm / 1.4 v 1.8?

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi there

I'm keen on getting a prime lens to pair with my new Nikon 7200 and considering which option to go for.

On face value i imagine the answer is 35mm 1.4 is the most favored but I'd like to get an idea in the real word if there is a significant difference between 35mm 1.4 v 1.8 as well as the 50mm option.

Focal length aside what do you guys think? Is the price differential worth it? I'm looking at the latest G variant.

Example of your pictures would also be appreciated.

Thanks

I'll just comment on the standard lenses for your camera.

The 35mm 1.8G AF-S DX actually beats the 35mm 1.4G full frame lens. As with many lenses designed and optimised for a smaller format, they perform brilliantly. Check out some of the fabulous lenses that allow micro 4/3rd systems to equal or better APS-C systems.

Photozone's excellent lens tests agree with me too.

35mm AF-S DX 1.8G
http://www.photozone.de/nikon--nikkor-aps-c-lens-tests/628-nikkor3518dx?start=1

35mm 1.4G
http://www.photozone.de/nikon--nikkor-aps-c-lens-tests/797-nikkorafs3514dx?start=1

I used to own the DX 35mm 1.8 when I used DX gear, and it was an amazing lens for the money... no.. it was just an amazing lens.

Unless you really, really need that 1.4 aperture, or also need it for a FX camera, then save your cash and get the excellent 1.8AF-S DX G

Any views on 35mm v 50mm? I don't have a specific requirement other than getting the best results with portrait or short/mid range object stuff (cars, buildings, pets, people, features).

Focal length is a personal thing, if you have a kit lens see which you prefer.

Generally the 50mm would be considered a bit better for portraits and the 35mm for every day use but different people have different preferences and uses.

With regards to f/1.4 or 1.8, I would go with the 1.8 for both the 50mm and 35mm.

Any views on 35mm v 50mm? I don't have a specific requirement other than getting the best results with portrait or short/mid range object stuff (cars, buildings, pets, people, features).

50mm will be 75mm equivalent, so great for portraits, but a bit too long for general purpose.

I didn't comment on 35 vs 50 as you said...

Focal length aside what do you guys think?

That's really useful guys as I was debating if f/1.4 is worth the extra £s.

3 options I've narrowed it down to: Sigma 50mm, Nikon 35mm 1.8 and Nikon 50mm 1.8

I honestly don't think the Nikon 1.8 lenses can be beaten, they're great lenses irrespective of price. The posh Sigmas are nice but very big...

I had a Nikon 50 1.8 G back at Christmas to go with a D610, and was quite unimpressed: it's OK for low light, but it didn't seem especially sharp and was quite soft wide open. Maybe I had a poor copy, but it didn't seem any better than my Minolta 50 1.7, which is reckoned to be quite a poor 50, and a very long way from my Sony 50 1.4.

The plot thickens...I've checked reviews from various places and on the whole they're good. It's subjective I know but the real life experiences of you guys here will help, no rush.

On face value i imagine the answer is 35mm 1.4 is the most favored but I'd like to get an idea in the real word if there is a significant difference between 35mm 1.4 v 1.8 as well as the 50mm option.

Focal length aside what do you guys think? Is the price differential worth it? I'm looking at the latest G variant.

I know you said "focal length aside" but for me the first thing to decide is the focal length I want and I think there's enough difference between 35 and 50mm to matter. Personally I'd find the 50mm a bit long for anything other than occasional use and I'm sure I'd find myself using a 35mm more so that's what I'd go for first.

Going for a lens specifically designed for APS-C would seem a good idea but I don't think there's enough difference between modern lenses to make any image quality differences matter all that much (or quite often there isn't) as you're probably going to have to pixel peep and convince yourself that you can see a difference. So, I'd look at the spec, the size and weight and the look produced more than I'd look at ultimate image quality, sharpness and the like. You may prefer the look of one lens over another and the slight difference in aperture, 1.4 v 1.8, could matter here as it's enough of a difference to give a different look if probably not enough to make a difference in terms of exposure and ISO settings.

I'd also throw into the mix the designed for APS-C Sigma 30mm f1.4. I had one and thought it excellent.

OTOH I quite like a 50mm lens on a crop body - makes one learn to frame and zoom with the legs. ;)

OTOH I quite like a 50mm lens on a crop body - makes one learn to frame and zoom with the legs. ;)

I used a Sigma 50mm f1.4 quite a bit on my Canon 20D and I've also used a 50mm a lot on MFT but I'd still describe it as a bit long for me much of the time. Foot zooming alters perspective so that's a part of the mix too as is running out of room to foot zoom backwards and wishing you had a 35mm :D

That's really useful guys as I was debating if f/1.4 is worth the extra £s.

3 options I've narrowed it down to: Sigma 50mm, Nikon 35mm 1.8 and Nikon 50mm 1.8

The 50mm 1.8 is a great lens for the cash. The 1.4 is better, but you'll not see those gains on a crop camera, as they're mainly at the edges.

As above, it's apples and pears, you need to decide what focal length you want.

The 35mm is roughly a std lens and the 50mm is a short tele*,
*IMO it's too short to be any real use as a long lens and too long to be a general purpose lens.

ETA If you're really looking for a std prime I think the choice has to include the Sigma 30mm 1.4 (not the 35 Art)

Last edited:
You'll not be disappointed

When i branched out beyond my first kit lens i went with the Nikon 35mm 1.8 and didn't regret it. Great lens. Enjoy using it :)

Back