35mm bulk film

You need at least 44 frames for a 36 exposure film. At 1.5 inches per frame (near enough), a 36 exposure roll will be 66 inches long. 15 of them will be 82.5 feet. Should be easy.

The big advantage of bulk film, of course, is that you are not restricted to 36 exposure rolls. I mainly roll what I expect to use which might well be 10 frames. That is a slightly less economic use of the bulk roll as I waste more on leaders etc but then I am not shooting a whole 36 exposures once I have finished my project at, say, 17 frames.

The big advantage of bulk film, of course, is that you are not restricted to 36 exposure rolls. I mainly roll what I expect to use which might well be 10 frames. That is a slightly less economic use of the bulk roll as I waste more on leaders etc but then I am not shooting a whole 36 exposures once I have finished my project at, say, 17 frames.

I must admit I tend to aim for about 20 frames or so per roll, much more suited to my shooting style

Are you sure they are 100 ft rolls? Mostly seem to be 30 m which is 97.5 feet.

Some of them say 30m when its actually 30.5 too

Yea I usually find 36 a few too many actually, 24 is usually better for me.
I recently got a bulk loader for cheap and as I basically just use hp5 for 35mm made sense to look at bulk loading. I’ll probably buy 20 reusable canisters and load them all up at once.
Any tip for making sure the film won’t come off the spool? I practiced with what film was in the loader and one of 2 rolls came off inside the camera

Any tip for making sure the film won’t come off the spool? I practiced with what film was in the loader and one of 2 rolls came off inside the camera
I use sellotape to fix the film end to the spool. Never had one come off yet.

I use sellotape to fix the film end to the spool. Never had one come off yet.
Cool. That’s what I used the first time, I do think I tried to force it, I cut a roll of 36 into 2 and rolled them into the canniters to test it so I had no idea how many frames I had

Cool. That’s what I used the first time, I do think I tried to force it, I cut a roll of 36 into 2 and rolled them into the canniters to test it so I had no idea how many frames I had
Be gentle!

I've bulk rolled and when I know I'm reaching the end of the film I take more care when winding on. Mostly because I don't trust the film not to come away from the spool. At some point I intend to upgrade from the Watson teardrop shape loader to one of the more efficient AP/ Kaiser types. From what I can make out they appear to waste less film as the spool/ canister sits much closer to the film gate.

I've bulk rolled and when I know I'm reaching the end of the film I take more care when winding on. Mostly because I don't trust the film not to come away from the spool. At some point I intend to upgrade from the Watson teardrop shape loader to one of the more efficient AP/ Kaiser types. From what I can make out they appear to waste less film as the spool/ canister sits much closer to the film gate.
When I get round to it I want to practice taping the film to the cannister in the changing bag, cutting it away from the bulk roll too, hopefully cut down on waste

When I get round to it I want to practice taping the film to the cannister in the changing bag, cutting it away from the bulk roll too, hopefully cut down on waste

Did you manage to try this? I have thought about doing it myself but figured I would make a mess of it in a changing bag. I have thought about trying it in a completely dark room if possible as I think I would be less likely to get the sellotape stuck on the bag.

Did you manage to try this? I have thought about doing it myself but figured I would make a mess of it in a changing bag. I have thought about trying it in a completely dark room if possible as I think I would be less likely to get the sellotape stuck on the bag.
I haven’t actually, I’ve been more focused on medium format at the moment. But I don’t think it would be too hard, I did a test roll I’d made and I hadn’t stuck it enough and it came away from the film canister so I had to re stick it down, wasn’t that difficult, with practice would be easy I’d have thought

And what about using a daylight bulk loader?. There are some available on Ebay, new ones are a bit expensive but it is possible to find used ones in good condition.

Mine is the Kaiser, the one with the yellow remain-counter in the middle, and works great. I am still doing rolls manually in the darkroom because I have more than one type of film in bulk, but nothing compared to the comfort and speed of using the loader.

Back