35mm film saved as?

Some pro labs will offer saving to tiff, but most minilabs (and the default save setting of most Noritsu machines) is certainly jpg.

So what do all the film photographys use?

When I used to get dev+scan at Fuji Digital Imaging in Burnley, they would be jpg's - they were 3000x2000pixel jpg's though, and I was happy with that considering they were competitive in price (excluding the fact that they were already of a higher resolution than most normal scans). Now that I tend to scan myself, it'll be 2400dpi in the flatbed, saved to tiff - really useful to work on in Photoshop, you can bring out tons of shadow and highlight detail.

So what do all the film photographys use? Do you just accept jpg's, or go for a pro lab and get them in tiffs?

What about scanning the negatives yourselves?

John

You have to scan them yourself, bite the bullet, ebay the 50d and buy the equipment...:)

If only my photography was limited to 35mm, scanning wouldn't be half the pain in the wallet it is now.

When I used to get dev+scan at Fuji Digital Imaging in Burnley, they would be jpg's - they were 3000x2000pixel jpg's though, and I was happy with that considering they were competitive in price (excluding the fact that they were already of a higher resolution than most normal scans). Now that I tend to scan myself, it'll be 2400dpi in the flatbed, saved to tiff - really useful to work on in Photoshop, you can bring out tons of shadow and highlight detail.

Thanks for that its really useful!

john

They're generally pretty low-res JPegs, unless you go to a pro lab.

Back