35mm Film Types?

Name
Giles
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all, just got my hands on an Olympus XA to start doing some experimentation with. I've been using a Holga for a while, but getting film processed and scanned prooved a little bit expensive for me, so I thought I'd have a go at 35mm instead - I can get it processed only and scan it in with my existing scanner so should be cheaper all round.

However I've no clue about film types / makes and what to use. Are there any comparisons of similar shots taken with different films, eg difference between Velvia, Precisa, Superia, Porta etc etc?

Get some superia 200asa and start shooting, it's an excellent general purpose film...once you can get good results with that film then experiment.

I bought some outdated Reala 100asa film off ebay and was blown away by the results.

Kodak Ektar 100 is another good one, though probably best suited to sunnier days.

Have a look at tags on flickr for samples of the various films.

I like Fuji Superia for colour film (they do a lot of different ISOs). Tri-X and HP5 are both brilliant 400 ISO B&W films. I have seen some great results from people shooting Neopan 1600 too.

Also, while it's still in stock at 7Dayshop you could try a roll or two of Kodachrome (which has been discontinued). It's expensive, but bear in mind that the cost covers processing and slide mounting.

The XA is a great camera - I love mine!

I'd probably stick to colour print film in the XA, you'll need to worry less about exposure that way. To be honest from there, any yellow or green box stuff will do you well, but I sure do like fuji pro160s/400h!

Back