35mm for Canon

Phil I'm assuming it's full frame you're after but if not the Sigma 18-35 1.8 art is a stunning lens (it does work on FF, but possible vignettes) it's not f1.4 obviously but built like a tank, awesome image quality & ideal for weddings.
It won't work on a Canon FF.

But while it's good (I'm referring to the 85), as are all Sigma primes, it's not **significantly** better!

The Canon is awesome and I suspect @woof woof had a suspect copy as I couldn't ask more from mine. I don't even see why it needs an update? Optically its stunning, and the AF is fast and silent. The only thing I'd add I guess is IS, but that would add significant cost.
I think your agreeing with me!

The only thing canon really need to fix on the 85mm USM is the CA wide open as by modern standards it is pretty horrific. For the price though I really can't fault mine the only thing that either the sigma f1.4 or canon 1.2L have to offer is bigger apertures and marginally better bokeh which isn't a lot for the money. Will be interesting to see what the inevitable sigma art brings to the table!

Just to chip in :)

Have the Sigma 35A and love it. I rented the 35L and loved the focal length on FF but couldn't justify the price of it, especially when the Sigma offers better IQ for far less money. The only slight question mark is over focusing with many reporting the Canon as more consistent but then that's to be expected really as Sigma have to reverse engineer the AF. That said I've not had any problems with mine.

It's worth mentioning that I've had a few of the "old" Sigmas and swore I'd never have another. Felt very let down by their quality control - if you got a good one they could be great but there were so many bad copies around it was a lottery. That I went back on this and now have a 35A in my bag is testament to how much better it is than their old rubbish. The only non-Canon lens I own.

another plus for the mk1 Canon 35mm, for the money it's a bargain , only downside is the buzzy AF - but not the end of the world
I liked the focal length so much that I upgraded to the IS model. I do miss the size of the Mk1 though...

Had 35L and loved it, now have a EF 35/2 non IS and it's actually very good and man it's cheap, that is what we call value for money:)

I seem to be in the same boat as the OP, and was specifically interested in getting the Sigma 35mm ART - but for those of you that do have this lens, would you say it's a necessity to have to get the dock with it, or can you do without?

I seem to be in the same boat as the OP, and was specifically interested in getting the Sigma 35mm ART - but for those of you that do have this lens, would you say it's a necessity to have to get the dock with it, or can you do without?
My copy has a slight variation of focus across the range on my body. The dock enabled me to make it pin sharp focus accuracy at any length. It's not something you need to get straight away so you could see how your copy performs with your body before deciding on the purchase.

The Sigma Art is superb for the money. My colleague, who shoots Canon, has one and its outstanding performance is what persuaded me to get one for my Nikon system. Sadly, I had to move it on in order to lighten up my wedding bag, but I'd gladly have another if I didn't have to carry it!

Here's a really interesting forum post I found with samples from five different 35mm lenses including the 35L, the Sigma Art, the Samyang, the 35 IS and a Nikon one too.

It's in Vietnamese, trnaslated via Google, which makes it quite funny to read... but hey, the images are the important part! The Sigma really impresses me with its flare resistance, lack of purple fringing etc, as does the 35 IS - clearly both benefit from their modern design improvements.

http://translate.google.com/transla...s/showthread.php?t=189358&hl=en&langpair=auto

I'm also currently in the market for a 35mm lens to add to my wedding kit. I am hugely torn between the Sigma and the 35L, I've discounted the IS as I love shooting wide open... as I say, the Sigma undoubtedly benefits from modern design improvements over the 35L, but from shots I've seen the L has that 'je ne sais quoi' to its out of focus rendering.

My major worry, though, is all the horror stories about the Art's focus issues. So many people are reporting inconsistent results that are unfixable by focus adjustments :( The dock is a great idea, but why did they bunch 3 of the 4 options right up near the MFD? This is an issue, especially as many of the problems people have are between 2m and infinity (i.e. if you adjust it to nail focus at 2M, it's off at infinity).

I have nothing against Sigma, I love taking my 50-500 out to photograph some wildlife at a hobbyist level, but I would hate to have any more inconsistent AF issues to deal with at weddings... I already have the 50L if I want to put a lens on that'll give me lots of beautiful but OOF images :ROFLMAO:

Back