35mm or 50 mm

Name
Robert
Edit My Images
Yes
I am thinking about either the Sigma 50 mm 1.4 art or the Sigma 35mm 1.4 art, to go with my d500.
I assume the 50mm will have the better bokeh (I hate that terminoligy), but is there much difference in the build quality between the two?
I know the d500 is a crop sensor and the 50 mm would be more like 75 mm , however I would be happy with that as it would sit in between the two other prime lenses I have (Nikon 35mm 1.8 and Sigma 105 mm 2.8.
Or do I get rid of the Nikon 35mm and get the Sigma 35mm?
Use would be street and portraiture.
Cheers ,
Rob.

I have both, build quality is identical has they are the same generation of lens built in the same way.
I find the 35mm is much better the the nikon 35 1.8.
I find the 35 art is a very nice size, the 50mm art is verging on being too big. I use my on FF so focal are not the same as yours.

It depends really.

Do you want to shoot at 50mm or 35mm?

What about the Sigma 30mm art?

What do you not like about the Nikon 35?

For street the 50 might be too long. I use 50 a lot but on FX. Still you can pick one up pretty cheap in the classifieds and sell it on if you don’t like it.

What about the Sigma 30mm art?

What do you not like about the Nikon 35?

For street the 50 might be too long. I use 50 a lot but on FX. Still you can pick one up pretty cheap in the classifieds and sell it on if you don’t like it.

Both of those suggestions are good. I had the Sigma 35mm art on a full frame camera which was optically brilliant but on the heavy side. If you’re on a D500, the 30 mm would be my call for street photos as it would give you something close to 40mm equivalent on a full frame and is also built specifically for APSC.

The build quality between the 50mm and the 35mm is close to identical.

For 50mm, I particularly liked the Nikon 50mm 1.8G full frame lens which has the advantages of being light and cheap. The difference between 1.4 and 1.8 are relatively small in most instances.

Back