35mm Rangefinder camera recommendations

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
No
Should this be in the gear thread?

Anyway, I'm looking for a 35mm rangefinder camera that won't break the bank.
I've seen a Minolta Hi-Matic AF2 M on fleabay for not too much but £60 is near the top end I want to pay. Some sort of light meter may be handy but not essential, a fixed lens is fine too so long as its wider than 50mm.

Olympus XA….Sharp lens, light and pocketable, lens sliding cover / protection and in built meter….Not a bad little number tbh not that i still have mine.

although as you haven't said how "strong" the bank is, perhaps a Leica M-4 would be possible?:exit::LOL:

I really like my Canonet QL :)
Yes, I had a QL17 GIII briefly. It was m first rangefinder, and I regret selling it on. Cracker of a lens (43/1.7).

Olympus XA….Sharp lens, light and pocketable, lens sliding cover / protection and in built meter….Not a bad little number tbh not that i still have mine.

although as you haven't said how "strong" the bank is, perhaps a Leica M-4 would be possible?:exit::LOL:
Which one though, 1,2 or 3? And to me, that's more just a point and shoot.

I really like my Canonet QL :)
Looks interesting, decent one on fleabay but its from the USA

just put an offer in for a Minolta Hi Matic F nice an cheap, £40

If you do some googling you will find that that the xa2 is based on zone focusing and as such is little more than a p&s. The 3rd version I have never owned so no idea and can’t be bothered looking it up( that’s for you to occupy yourself with!).

I mentioned the XA ( I’m presuming that being 1 in your list, not that the original XA was numbered XA1 ) as that is a rangefinder.

I responded to your original question.
Perhaps if you wanted to have specific features, then it would have been helpful to have stated that originally.

I mentioned the XA ( I’m presuming that being 1 in your list, not that the original XA was numbered XA1 ) as that is a rangefinder.

XA1 is a separate model with fixed focus, don't go anywhere near it.

I am a big fan of XA, it's my default walk around camera. The only issue is a dim RF patch , but a piece of blue tinted tape helps and you get used to it after a while.

Last edited:

I think you maybe missed the point that the XA (no digit) is a proper, but minute and fairly auto) rangefinder, while the XA1, 2 and 3 are all something rather different (more P&S) in the same (or very similar) body. The XA also has an excellent lens. However, it's definitely not for everybody!

You should be able to pick up a Yashica GT/n for around the £60 mark. Often maligned as it's a little on the chunky side but it's worth it for the 45mm f1.7 lens.

Sorry I wasn't having a go, when I search fleabay all I saw was XA1, 2 and 3 and that it doesn't look like what I think (mistakenly) is a rangefinder through me off.

Thanks for the help very much appreciated.

I now own that Minolta Hi Magic, should be fun running some film through it.
Also bought 2 of those PX640 adapters.

Back