35mm streaks

Name
Ben
Edit My Images
No
I develop both 120 and 35mm but when I develop 35mm I pretty much always get streaks down the whole roll. Is this because of water in the sprocket holes?? I don’t use a squeegee for either 120 or 35mm, just run my fingers down once and 120’s always been fine

Squeegee's are evil incarnate:) Can you clarify what you mean by the streaks running down the whole roll... If the streaks are going across the film from the sprocket holes then that points towards technique, if they run from one end of the film to the other then that could be down to drying marks and incorrect use of wetting agent etc.

Would be good if you could post an example it may be a lot easier to deduce what the problem is...

Squeegee's are evil incarnate:) Can you clarify what you mean by the streaks running down the whole roll... If the streaks are going across the film from the sprocket holes then that points towards technique, if they run from one end of the film to the other then that could be down to drying marks and incorrect use of wetting agent etc.

Would be good if you could post an example it may be a lot easier to deduce what the problem is...
Lol :).
It’s basically marks from top to bottom so I suppose that would rule out sprocket holes. I just can’t what else it could be, I do everything exactly the same as I do my 120 film and I never get streaks on 120.
I use ilfords wetting agent then hang the film in the bathroom and use my fingers to get off the excess water

The sprocket holes in 35 mm film act as mini reservoirs for water. I hang the film and wait a minute or so before squeegeeing the film (squeegees are fine if you keep your kit clean and are better than fingers which get used for assorts without you being aware).

The major problem is that no matter what method you use to remove excess liquid it needs to be clean and well cared for... there are also arguments as to the best way to hang your films to dry, from not removing excess water to using fingers/squeegee/sponge and it really is a case of finding what works best for you.

If the marks are running down the film it could be excess liquid caught under the clip (however you are hanging your film... my preferred method was to either squeegee or run through my fingers from the bottom end to the end which will be clipped at the top (hope that makes sense).

I have seen lots of differing methods even down to using one of those plastic salad spinners to remove any excess liquid...

One thing we always did was the final wetting agent bath was mixed very weak and using de-ionised water.

One thing we always did was the final wetting agent bath was mixed very weak and using de-ionised water.

:agree:

Plus, Phil refers to the clip. How are you hanging your film to dry, specifically at the top end? I now use Paterson clips with a weighted one at the bottom.

It could well be water under the clip. Recently I’ve started doing what you said, starting at the opposit end to the end your going to hang it from with 120 film, haven’t yet done it with 35mm.

Back