35mm

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
No
I have decided to challenge myself to complete a bridal photo shoot with nothing more than my camera and a35mm lens...thoughts? Has anyone else managed to do a shoot with one lens.... no flash..all natural day light......

I'm struggling to understand why you'd want to. I'd want to shoot some head and shoulders, and that'd not be flattering with the 35mm. I am presuming crop?

I know of a few wedding photographers who shoot 85% - 95% of the day with a 35mm 1.4 pretty successfully. Personally, I couldn't do everything with a 35mm no matter how much I love that focal length.

35 & 85 works well, or 35, 50, 135mm also

Well, Here is the full story...... The shoot is in a small barn,,,,,, therefore the 70-200 is out of the question...... as i no longer have the pleasure of the 24-70 I have my 35mm 1.8 dx lens for the D200 and I have a 50mm 1.8 but the 50mm is slightly faulty and not reliable..... so the challenge is on..... I have never made a challenge to myself like this before so it will be interesting to see the result........

I agree with Phil here, can't you hire a short telephoto as "back-Up" for close up portrait shots?

You guys have me converted..I really should spend the hard earned cash and but a new 24-70......looking for one as I type........Love and peace! :)

Perhaps it's just me but I find the 35mm produces unflattering distortion for portraits. I much prefer the 50mm.

I prefer the 50 mm as well but the one i have is a bit like wife (unstable) LOL....

I will probably end up buying a 24-70 but then I could take up the challenge and try to pull it off.... will post some images once I have done the shoot........

24_70 ordered...Will be with me on Wednesday...... happy days...trouble averted.... (y)

I know of a couple of togs who shoot weddings with two bodies and two lenses and never use flash .
One uses a 35mm 1.4 for the majority of shots and 85mm1.2 for other required shots
the other uses 50mm 1.2 and 135 f2
I have also met someone who only uses a 35mm and/or 50mm

I know of a couple of togs who shoot weddings with two bodies and two lenses and never use flash .
One uses a 35mm 1.4 for the majority of shots and 85mm1.2 for other required shots

I'd happily do that too - but there's a huge difference between only shooting portraits with a 35mm and shooting a set of photo's using a 35mm or an 85mm.

A 35mm is just too short for a traditional 'portrait', ie. it'll create an unattractive face used close up. So you're straight into shooting wide and cropping. It's possible but wasteful, and on a D200 you'd be severely limiting your output options cropping that aggressively.

Now if your groovy customer didn't care about traditional issues like 'attractiveness' in a portrait, you're good to go. But you don't meet many brides who fall into that category - most want to look the best they ever have, many will lose weight and spend a great deal of time at the gym and beauticians just to look their best on their wedding day. Shooting 'groovy' WA pictures isn't much of a reward for all their effort.

Thanks for all the input Peeps! The 24-70mm lens arrived this morning....Just on my way out to give it a test drive...... Enjoy your day.

I would say i spend 99.9% of wedding with a 50mm 1.4 on one body and a 70-200 2.8 on the other and am yet to use flash

I don't think anyone would struggle shooting an entire wedding in 35mm F1.4, if it was shot on the photographers terms... ;)

With respect when I first started we were shooting Medium Format with just an 80mm and 50mm and only a few years earlier all weddings were done on fixed lens Rolleiflex's, try it if you want but back in the 80's if someone had given me a an f2.8 zoom to use rather than one ot two fixed focal length lenses I would have bitten their arms off

With respect when I first started we were shooting Medium Format with just an 80mm and 50mm and only a few years earlier all weddings were done on fixed lens Rolleiflex's, try it if you want but back in the 80's if someone had given me a an f2.8 zoom to use rather than one ot two fixed focal length lenses I would have bitten their arms off

Ha ha, :clap::clap:

Just to make things clear, I do not think shooting with zooms is in anyway inferior, it's certainly more comfortable that's for sure. For me it just works working with fixed focal lengths, I like it more, that's all.

Hey, I hired a 35mm a few weeks back and second shot a wedding using only this lens ...... Loved it!!

Back