3D - Battle of the Somme, 90th Anniversary

Edit My Images
No
As I write, 90 years ago exactly, the British Army launched a major attack during World War I on the Somme, northern France. July 1st, 1916, was fated to be the bloodiest day in the history of British arms. By noon 57,000 men fell casualty (19,000 killed outright). The battle continued until November. The losses sorely affected communities across Britain. Barnsley was one, so too Accrington, who had to grieve for shocking losses of young men who had grown up, trained and fallen together. Today there lives only one battle survivor aged 110 years old.

This photo shows a memorial to some of the Pals built next to the firing trench the attack was launched from. 'At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, we will remember them.'

To view sit 2-3 feet from your monitor. The left eye looks at the right image. The right eye looks at the left image. Don't strain or go bug-eyed. Relax. A central image giving stereo depth will appear.

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=140462334&context=set-72057594059104860&size=o

Comments welcomed.

Nice picture, couldn't get the 3D thing going though

A lovely memorial.. couldn't figure how it works in 3d though :thinking:

Images are quite large so it took me a while to get it to work. It works well in 3D - the little crosses in the ground stand out and there is a good depth going back into the forest.

I find these things work 2 ways for me. Looking 'through' them until the images sort of merge then focusing or (as in this case because they are a bit large) looking at my finger tip slightly less than half way between my face and the screen... then focusing on the image not the finger (the hard part :) )

I can work the 'magic eye' images quite well, but keep coming back to this and trying with no luck.... I'll get there eventually!

Edit... just tried it with the smaller thumbnail and it worked for me :) Very clever!

minimeeze said:
I can work the 'magic eye' images quite well, but keep coming back to this and trying with no luck.... I'll get there eventually!

Edit... just tried it with the smaller thumbnail and it worked for me :) Very clever!

Well done, your perseverance paid off! (y)

RobertP said:
Images are quite large so it took me a while to get it to work. It works well in 3D - the little crosses in the ground stand out and there is a good depth going back into the forest.

I find these things work 2 ways for me. Looking 'through' them until the images sort of merge then focusing or (as in this case because they are a bit large) looking at my finger tip slightly less than half way between my face and the screen... then focusing on the image not the finger (the hard part :) )

You describe a good learning technique, Robert! With regular practice you will fuse (see) stereo almost immediately! Thanks for responding.

i love this technique - stereography iirc, theres plenty of them images on the net too, this is a nice example :)

wez130 said:
i love this technique - stereography iirc, theres plenty of them images on the net too, this is a nice example :)

If you like 3D, Wez, look at my flickr gallery which 160+ stereos to view. Thanks for the compliment! :)

Back