3D printing anybody done it yet.

cowasaki

TPer Emeritus
Name
Darren
Edit My Images
Yes
Well I've decided to have a go at some 3D printing in order to make prototype cases, parts etc for my electronics projects. There are a number of options available and I'm just looking right now. The one I'm most likely to go for is this one: http://reprappro.com/Tricolour_Mendel As I already have full prototype PCB manufacturing already the addition of this device will give me some proper mad inventor options. Then a CNC milling machine and lathe :D

Anybody done any 3D printing?
Any pre-purchase tips?

Once I have one machine I may well look at building my own after that with maybe a carrousel for colours etc, the electronics are less complicated than most of the stuff I already do and all the brackets, wiring, metalwork etc is easy enough plus having a 3D printer means I can make the plastics myself........

You could print custom Lego man sets of the entire Mod Team! :puke:
(...and sell 'em to the members.) (y)

Always fancied the idea but lack the know how to create in 3D. Must. Resist. Temptation (to get more gear with no ideas!!!)

Darryn Reeder has one, not sure how much he pops on here anymore but he's on my facecack :)

I definitely fancy building one. :D Should be quite a useful toy.

My son was assaulted in a random attack which left him with the floor of his eye socket shattered and a badly fractured cheek bone (prison for assailant GBH).

Hid hospital did a 3D CT scan of the injured area and the digital file was sent to a NHS unit in Cardiff.

When we saw the surgeon we were shown the 3D print of his eye socket [plastic or nylon|. The detail was incredible and it even showed the collapsed floor [orbital floor]. Then a techie came in with a sealed theatre tray with the "new" titanium orbital floor he had made from using the 3 print!

The operation went quicker and the new piece fitted perfectly! Until 3D the surgeon and techie would make the plates on the fly.

So the future is def 3D

I am still amazed by what I saw and so new was what my son had done the eye socket print was used on a lecture tour as a case study.

Goox luck with the micro factories that will evolve with this technology

As a few of you probably know I am a mad inventor but the biggest problem is making the device look good rather than a bare circuit board or some anonymous black box from marlin. Being able to print a case for something is going to be brilliant. Once I have one up and working I can then use it to produce the parts as I play with the design to build another one for making smaller objects with more precision. Just trying to decide which one is going to be best and whether to buy a kit or, more likely, follow the plans and make my own circuit boards etc. You can buy the plastic parts as a kit which have been printed by someone else.

"Holy thread bumpage Batman!"

I've held off getting a printer for ages but the cost has come low enough for me to have a punt on a kit, I'm going to treat it as a learning experience. Came across the excellent 123D Design software package the other day, still can't believe it's free! It's pretty sophisticated but there are lots of tutorials on Youtube.

Anyone else 3D printing for fun?

In 2015 I worked with someone who printed parts in 3D for use in a process we were developing. They were generally rough and a bit fragile, so selection of the right 3D printer & materials and careful setting up are important.

Back