3rd installment of star trail project (yes another star trail shot :)

Edit My Images
Yes
i put the last 2 shots for my little project up so in keeping with that i thought i would share my 3rd and penultimate shot. I also though i would put a still frame on here in case anyone knows what region i am pointing at, astronomically speaking :)

Again these shots are by-products of another project i am trying, and struggling, to do.

I have no idea what my final one will be :LOL:

thoughts, comments, arguments, abuse, all welcome. although i may find you and kill you if you are rude about my modelling skills.

word.

Stargazer by The Reverend JT, on Flickr

and a still frame:

stargazing still frame by The Reverend JT, on Flickr

:geek:

Nice shots.

You have a few constellations in that shot, the most famous being Orion, going horizontal from our feet about three quarters of the way from the left of the picture, the three stars running up from left to right is orions belt, what looks like three or four stars running down the other way is the sword and that's where you find the orion nebulae, you can just about make out a bit of fuzz in the Nebulae. You can see Hyades, which is the v shape on its side on the top left (part of Taurus). You can see Sirius, at the bottom, the brightest star in the night sky. Got most of Gemini in there as well.

Agree with Matt, a bit different and very well taken, liking both shots very much ;thumbs:

Great shot. These star trails images really benefit from having foreground interest. This definitely has this. It's also rare to get some human interest in there as well.

I do like this, would live to have a go myself sometime!

One thing that I noticed that I haven't in other star trails (and might be common but I don't know a lit about the night sky) is that there appears to be 2 different centre points (for want of a better term) that the stars are following?

In the top left, they are clearly circling clockwise, but in the bottom right, they appear to me to be starting an anti-clockwise movement. Is it me going mad and/or is this normal?? Maybe something to do with the focus point? No idea myself :)

Like it though :)

I do like this, would live to have a go myself sometime!

One thing that I noticed that I haven't in other star trails (and might be common but I don't know a lit about the night sky) is that there appears to be 2 different centre points (for want of a better term) that the stars are following?

In the top left, they are clearly circling clockwise, but in the bottom right, they appear to me to be starting an anti-clockwise movement. Is it me going mad and/or is this normal?? Maybe something to do with the focus point? No idea myself :)

Like it though :)

It is normal (y) I believe it's to do with polar axis (y) northern and southern (y) this is one of most apparent I've seen on this phenomena it's normally seen in trails when facing south (y)

Matt

I love the shot with the trails, it's on my list of things to do (especially have as I've just purchased a timer).
how did you take this shot? One long shot, or lots of shorter photo's?
How long is the overall exposure to get the trails?
What time of the night was it?

Great modelling skills by the way.

I love the shot with the trails, it's on my list of things to do (especially have as I've just purchased a timer).
how did you take this shot? One long shot, or lots of shorter photo's?
How long is the overall exposure to get the trails?
What time of the night was it?

Great modelling skills by the way.

120 shots stacked on top of one another.

the overall exposure would be 120 x 34 seconds (30 second exposures and a 4 second gap in between each one) = 68 minutes.

it finished about 9pm if memory serves!

Hi JT, this is awesome stuff!! Did you just have 1 picture with yourself and the rest are without or did you stand there for the whole hour trying to be as still as possible?

Hi JT, this is awesome stuff!! Did you just have 1 picture with yourself and the rest are without or did you stand there for the whole hour trying to be as still as possible?

alright fella, how's tricks?

i did 2 posed shots and chose the best one. It was a 2 flash set up, and it was absolutely freezing so there was no chance of standing there still for an hour!

(y)

alright fella, how's tricks?

i did 2 posed shots and chose the best one. It was a 2 flash set up, and it was absolutely freezing so there was no chance of standing there still for an hour!

(y)

I'm good mate thanks. I need to learn more on photoshop. I.e. how you managed to get rid of the flash in the picture etc. I'm going to give star trails a go soon.

Back