3rd party film scanner software

Name
Bill
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm currently running a (new to me) old Minolta Scan Dual SCSI film scanner on an old XP machine with Adobe elements 2 for scanning negs (get the trend... old :)). I've tried running vuescan for the first time this evening rather than the Minolta software and I'm quite impressed with the results. A much better level of exposure straight off and an image requiring less processing.

So I quite like vuescan, but is there any other similar software I should be trying before parting with any cash?

All I really want is the ability to scan negs and slides to file at native resolution, with a good output requiring as little PP as possible.

I've not used Vuescan before to make a comparison but Silverfast has been doing a brilliant job at scanning my negs and slides!

I have used vuescan. I think it is great. I think you also get free updates with it so it will keep up with all new scanners.

I use it with a minolta scanner too. It's much better than the provided software. Batch mode is great so you can pick which frames you want and leave it going for each strip.

Silverfast is the other one I had heard mentioned, but ye olde Minolta Scan Dual is not supported :(

any others?

Vuescan is one of the better ones, although for some reason all scanner software is not very user friendly.
I use Vuescan to create a RAW file and then tweak it with colorneg (PS plugin.) I get really consistent results using this method and what was a pain is now really quick and easy.

Vuescan gets my vote (y)

Especially handy when Epson abandon their old scanners.

Back