3rd Wedding In 3 Days

Name
Danny
Edit My Images
No
Last edited:
Pity that the Groom was not wearing a suit with braces. The gap under the waistcoat showing a belt and bit of shirt is a sartorial nightmare.
I like the casual pose of the bride in the last shot. But it would have been better had she turned her wrist holding the flowers, so that we saw her hand and ring rather than the stalks.
Brides have a natural tendency to hold flowers as if they were a weapon. They usually need a little coaching before things get going.

Great set! I've got a couple of triple headers this year... I did only one last year and didn't find it too bad but I've just got the new Sigma 85mm and it's soooo heavyyyy! We'll have to have a spa day at the end of the year! haha!

They're lovely, really capture the mood.

I don't photograph weddings so this may be irrelevant.. but they're all shot from about the same height. I wonder whether 1, 2 & 4 would work even better from a slightly lower viewpoint?

For me using a Higher view point separates things distance wise rather better. You can see it more often in the shots taken by tall photographers, or ones who carry a set of low steps.
It creates a greater sense of space.
However I would agree that a variation in height can be a good thing.

Three seems to be taken from a much lower angle. and the only sense of space is that given by the relative size of the heads even the angled beam adds little depth.

I love the look on the groom's face in the third one :) Also, do you think she is adopted?

In picture 3 have you tried using a haze removal tool in Adobe? Well worth a try

They're lovely, really capture the mood.

I don't photograph weddings so this may be irrelevant.. but they're all shot from about the same height. I wonder whether 1, 2 & 4 would work even better from a slightly lower viewpoint?

Good point Simon - varying shootin height is something I should probably make a conscious effort to try.

Great set! I've got a couple of triple headers this year... I did only one last year and didn't find it too bad but I've just got the new Sigma 85mm and it's soooo heavyyyy! We'll have to have a spa day at the end of the year! haha!

Thanks Jack! The Sigma 85 looks like a real monster! Holdfast straps should handle it nicely though.

Love them!
Can i ask you about the settings and the equipment? Especially in the last photo, was it a sunny day? Did you use reflector/flash or lifted shadows post processing?

Thanks Irena. No fancy equipment used - it was a 6D and a Sigma 35 Art. Just checked the settings in Lightroom and it was 1/640th, ISO100, f2.2

I never use reflectors, flash or any other light modifiers during the course of the day. It's just too much bulk to carry around and I prefer to work more fluidly and get the more natural look. Hope this helps :)

Thanks Irena. No fancy equipment used - it was a 6D and a Sigma 35 Art. Just checked the settings in Lightroom and it was 1/640th, ISO100, f2.2

I never use reflectors, flash or any other light modifiers during the course of the day. It's just too much bulk to carry around and I prefer to work more fluidly and get the more natural look. Hope this helps :)

Thanks a lot for sharing the details! I am all for natural light and photos like yours make me beleive that its possible to produce such a great photos without extra gear. Its inspiring :)

Nice work Danny as others have said 1st one is a winner. 3 in a row isn't so bad. We are doing 5 in 6 days in August which should be fun.

Love the first two, they wouldn't be out of place in a bridal magazine.
Great timing in No3, the expression will be a keeper for years to come...
Although I like the pose in No4, I think it's right on the edge of the exposure margin, perhaps some areas of the gown are starting to blow.

Love the first two, they wouldn't be out of place in a bridal magazine.
Great timing in No3, the expression will be a keeper for years to come...
Although I like the pose in No4, I think it's right on the edge of the exposure margin, perhaps some areas of the gown are starting to blow.

Thanks for taking a look Paul!

The reason for the expression in No3 is I believe he just got his own name wrong during the vows :D

You're probably right about the exposure in 4 as well, I do tend to shoot quite a way to the right.

Thanks a lot for sharing the details! I am all for natural light and photos like yours make me beleive that its possible to produce such a great photos without extra gear. Its inspiring :)

Thanks Irina! Don't get me wrong, I know a lot of guys that bring truck-loads of gear to weddings and produce some great results. It's just about how you like to work and how you work will determine your final result :)

I always think wedding photographers have a damned difficult job which is why I've ALWAYS shied away from doing them. Screwing up that ONE special day in someone's life fills me with dread! I did two staged bridal shoots for my portfolio and found the balance between getting the detail in the dress and the exposure for the rest of the image very difficult. Nice set.

IMG_1491233711.680648.jpg

When looking at this post on my phone I see the above picture, but not in the thread. Anyone know why this is?

Ok great. Thanks for replying.
I like how you can see photos without going into each post on the mobile app, but thought I was missing things [emoji4]

I must be old school judging by the above comments

This is the brides big day

Photo one looking at the floor / flowers head hanging down , No interaction with the young bridesmaid or photographer

Photo 2 the bride has a mirror growing out of the front of her face , no separation also the brides flowers are lost with the flowers on the cupboard , The brides mum is lost

Photo 3 , not sure whats going on with the strange facial expression of the groom ?

Photo 4 , Bride looking at something ? the floor ? flowers hanging upside down , No full face smiling happy shot / interaction with the photographer

AS SAID maybe it me being old school / traditionalist

Sorry

I must be old school judging by the above comments

This is the brides big day

Photo one looking at the floor / flowers head hanging down , No interaction with the young bridesmaid or photographer

Photo 2 the bride has a mirror growing out of the front of her face , no separation also the brides flowers are lost with the flowers on the cupboard , The brides mum is lost

Photo 3 , not sure whats going on with the strange facial expression of the groom ?

Photo 4 , Bride looking at something ? the floor ? flowers hanging upside down , No full face smiling happy shot / interaction with the photographer

AS SAID maybe it me being old school / traditionalist

Sorry

Thanks for the feedback Allen. Don't be sorry man.

With the greatest of respect, and not wishing to offend, I think your comments would have been right on the money about 10-15 years ago. There are still some guys out there who go for the ultra-traditional, posed to within an inch of it's life, wedding photography. They, in my area anyway, are a dying breed. I get booking purely for not being that guy.

If I have to tell a bride to "look at the camera and smile" then I'm not doing my job properly.

As above though, absolutely no offence meant, but I think we'll probably have very different ideas about what wedding photography should entail.

Thanks for the feedback Allen. Don't be sorry man.

With the greatest of respect, and not wishing to offend, I think your comments would have been right on the money about 10-15 years ago. There are still some guys out there who go for the ultra-traditional, posed to within an inch of it's life, wedding photography. They, in my area anyway, are a dying breed. I get booking purely for not being that guy.

If I have to tell a bride to "look at the camera and smile" then I'm not doing my job properly.

As above though, absolutely no offence meant, but I think we'll probably have very different ideas about what wedding photography should entail.

Yes agreed as said I must be OLD SCHOOL , Good luck :D

Beautiful work! I especially like the one with the mother reflected in the mirror. Clever (or lucky) composition!

Back