Speckled%20Wood.jpg

Gatekeeper
Gatekeeper01.jpg

Brimstone
Brimstone.jpg

Painted Lady
Red%20Admiral.jpg

Last edited:
Some lovely butterflies there, a nice garden selection. I'm not sure the flash works with these though. Was it the onboard flash you used? it looks a little harsh. If you really must use the onboard flash try taping a few layers of toilet paper over it to diffuse it a little.

The last one, the Painted Lady (;)) is my favourite of these, though it would look ever nicer if it were more to the left of the frame.

A good set with my fave being the Brimstone with the characteristic wing shape being well exhibited (y)

I'm with Jo about the harshness of light (or so it looks on my monitor). This is particularly on the speckled wood.

I went out yesterday too and got some butterflies and experimented with exposure compensation to try and get the best exposure for the colours on butterfly wings. I was finding that even though I could get the shots nicely exposed as far as the histogram was concerned, for some reason the better shots (IMHO) were with -2/3 or -1 EC. I got to thinking that maybe its the nature of the butterfly scales on the wings doing something that causes the light to be reflected in a particular way that makes it prone to being harsh or slightly over exposed :thinking:

I havent got round to posting these yet but I will show you what I mean with a few shots later. It may be that you have experienced the same thing with your set and that diffusing the flash will achieve the same thing as -ve EC :thinking:

On the other hand, I may be talking complete tosh and someone more experienced in these things than me will put me right

Thank you Jo and thanks nigpod for pointing out my silly name mistake.
I agree that flash can be harsh as the scales on their wings are reflective. On my ring flash I have 2 strips of masking tape over the main bulbs to soften the light. The trouble with macro and insects is the lighting is always changing and the subject is never still long enough.

Dai

Back