4 days in the Brecon Beacons - What CAN'T I miss?

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
Yes
As above really, have managed to get a long weekend in the Brecon Beacons in mid August.
Now this DOES coincide with my better half's birthday so I cant take the mick and be leaping up at 4am for sunrise shots, but what do people think are the "must-see" locations.
We hope to do some half decent walking (if the weather behaves) and I am pretty used to taking tripod and DSLR kit wherever we head to.
We are staying just outside of Brecon.

What do you think people!?

I would agree a trip to the waterfalls would be good, it doesn't matter as much about shooting at the golden hours of the day so it'll be more social if you have your other half with you.

In fact overcast light suits it better so you don't burn out the water or other areas of the shot.

I'd recommend Sgwd Ddwli as one to check out.

Llangorse lake is excellent, especially on a still morning; because it's in a low-lying bowl it tends to generate it's own misty and fog. Can be fabulous at sunrise. But nice at all times of day! I'm sure the ms wouldn't complain!

Best at the southern side at Llangasty, where there is a small carpark.

Waterfall country. It's south Brecon Beacons but not a long drive from beacon.
http://www.breconbeacons.org/waterfall-country

It can get busy though, especially during the holidays, but if you get there very early or much later you should get people free shots.

On the strength of this recommendation I visited there last Friday and did the "short" walk (4 waterfalls) up from Pont Nedd Fechan. Very enjoyable indeed. I've devved but not scanned the film so can't comment on my results yet but the falls are quite varied, and mostly quite accessible for a variety of angles, at east when I was there after a moderate amount of rain. Sustained heavy ran might reduce options quite a lot. Walking shoes rather than simple sneakers; saw a few folk in wellies and thought it was quite a good choice. There were a few people about but generally no problem getting a people-free view when I was there (weekends no doubts different).

Back