4 ways to shoot a Ribbon Eel

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
Yes
Been out diving again, and this time had nobody but me to worry about - my underwater time was all mine! As such, I wanted to try a few different ways of shooting this friendly Ribbon Eel. I have my favourite but I'd like the opinion of others over which works best

1 - regular front lighting
Ribbon-front-light-TP.jpg

2 - backlit
Ribbon-backlit-TP.jpg

3. Backlit with a little frontal lighting thrown in
Ribbon-mix2-TP.jpg

4. Going a bit crazy with a mix of coloured continuous lighting with a slow shutter speed to get the effects, with a strobe to get some reasonable detail on the eel
Ribbon-psychadelic-TP.jpg

Mike

#1 for me. The others lose that gorgeous, almost iridescent blue on the body. #4 would be in the running too but for me, it's lost a touch of detail and that colour.

I's be happy with either on my wall though, if I'd taken them!

All lovely in their own way, which makes picking a favourite very difficult. It is between #1 and #2 for me. I think #1 has it, for the colour and also, the eye contact which brings a connection with the viewer. There's also a depth to the eye, which just about swings it for me versus #2.

As Nod says though, they are all wall worthy.

Mike the loss of colour in 2 makes me fav one over 2...........3 brings more for me than 2 with the added front light but it still just sits behind one. 4 is the ele in the room.............it is instantly appealing to me on a personal level Mike.it also messes with me slightly. In many ways I can't fathom it but I kinda adore it more than one. Mike your first piccy is so brilliantly executed it is utterly what I would expect from you...the use of your monster skillset to make 4 sort of sets me buzzing it's really exciting to me to see that from you., so for me with my emotions and sensibilities choosing betwixt one and 4 is both thought provoking and proper hard.

Matey all 4 frames rock................ all four most of us could not and will never know how to make.....I adore this set bud, not only execution, but asking us to think and how potentially that might impact our own endevours.

Cool stuff mate..........be honest which is your fav?

Mike I go back over and over with same subjects in part I want to be with 'em tis soul food .in part I want to find a better image than yesterday. With my own limitations I'll never find the image I want to make, nowt will ever be furpect, with in that journey using the tools creatively is ever more appealing.............I wouldn't expect my choices to appeal to everyone in the above set..that said I don't think differing opinons are wrong just all as it should be, be are all different how we represent our chosen subjects surely should be more than a reflection of perfect detail and execution tis about finding a soul in nature ( any genre actually).finding an image that moves one's viewer...........

TFS

Nice work, Mike.

Tough choice but #2 for me as it keeps the feel of the darkness.

Really do like the shutter drag effect image too (y)

#1 for me. The others lose that gorgeous, almost iridescent blue on the body. #4 would be in the running too but for me, it's lost a touch of detail and that colour.

I's be happy with either on my wall though, if I'd taken them!

All lovely in their own way, which makes picking a favourite very difficult. It is between #1 and #2 for me. I think #1 has it, for the colour and also, the eye contact which brings a connection with the viewer. There's also a depth to the eye, which just about swings it for me versus #2.

As Nod says though, they are all wall worthy.

Mike the loss of colour in 2 makes me fav one over 2...........3 brings more for me than 2 with the added front light but it still just sits behind one. 4 is the ele in the room.............it is instantly appealing to me on a personal level Mike.it also messes with me slightly. In many ways I can't fathom it but I kinda adore it more than one. Mike your first piccy is so brilliantly executed it is utterly what I would expect from you...the use of your monster skillset to make 4 sort of sets me buzzing it's really exciting to me to see that from you., so for me with my emotions and sensibilities choosing betwixt one and 4 is both thought provoking and proper hard.

Matey all 4 frames rock................ all four most of us could not and will never know how to make.....I adore this set bud, not only execution, but asking us to think and how potentially that might impact our own endevours.

Cool stuff mate..........be honest which is your fav?

Mike I go back over and over with same subjects in part I want to be with 'em tis soul food .in part I want to find a better image than yesterday. With my own limitations I'll never find the image I want to make, nowt will ever be furpect, with in that journey using the tools creatively is ever more appealing.............I wouldn't expect my choices to appeal to everyone in the above set..that said I don't think differing opinons are wrong just all as it should be, be are all different how we represent our chosen subjects surely should be more than a reflection of perfect detail and execution tis about finding a soul in nature ( any genre actually).finding an image that moves one's viewer...........

TFS

4 for me. I know nothing of ribbon eels so I can appreciate the pure abstractness of the image

Thanks everyone, interesting to see a variety of opinions - just goes to show there is never a way that everyone will prefer.

Stu - my personal favourite is number 2. Probably because its the shot I set out to do. Asked my guide to go somewhere the Ribbons are and we went straight to a couple of them. I really wanted to do some backlighting for some variation this time.

The current craze in the area is for fake colours and filters, and slow shutters, hence me trying number 4. Doesn't quite sit right with me as a 'nature' shot, but as an abstract arty type shot, I did get a few for another thread that seemed to work

Mike

Ahh ok..I really thought your fav would be 1 or 3 Mike 1 for the detail 3 plausibly for the gnats B of front light and eye highlight........... fascinating insights bud. Ha I did smile though when reading " 'cause that's the image I wanted".I expected nowt less than you to find that!! ;)

Mike whilst 4 still appeals to me I SO SO hear you on introducing fake colours via filters, don't quite sit right here too. that said , I do gravitate to finding something different.........hmm there is a whole other debate to be had on the purity of a nature image huh.? Slow SS sometimes I can live with sometimes within nature they really mess with me

We are all different mate let that never change:cool:

I'd love to see the other thread Mike (y)

Back