4 x 5 View Cameras

Name
Mart
Edit My Images
No
Anyone on here use a 4 x 5 view camera or larger?
or better still anyone know where I can get some experiance with one?

Cheers,
Mart

I have recently brought a Sinar 5x4 architectural work.

It's no more complicated to use in its basic set up than any other manual film camera, just a bit slower.

It gets slightly more complicated when tilting and shifting but nothing too bad.

Providing you don't have time pressures its all straight forward.

Thanks, Its somthing I realy want to have a try of before I spend money. I'll have a look at the Tim Parkin course.
I understand its no more difficult only slower.

Cheers for the reply's,

Mart

Try your local college, they may be able to let you have a look at one.

I use a 5x4 for work and my personal projects, it's loads more fun than digital and once you get used to viewing the image upside down it's no harder than using smaller format cameras, but with the added advantage of movements.

I understand its no more difficult only slower.

Famous last words! Its the hardest format I have ever used, especially if you are going to be developing the negs yourself. The amount of mistakes that its possible to make is ridiculous.

Thanks for the coments, Ok I guess its harder but then thats part of the fun. Yes I want to develop my own film.
I'm going to try my local collage, also Walker Cameras is not that far from me, so I might get in contact and see If I can go and have a quick play.

Cheers,

Mart

Thanks Liam,
I'm kind of used to deving 120 film (b&w) now, so its just a bit different from that. I might book a course and have a go before taking any further, unless I find a camera for resonable money.
Looks like it will be quite an adventure :D

Cheers,

Mart

I develop b&w myself using a paterson tank like this...

http://www.flickr.com/groups/largeformat/discuss/72157594305554218/

You are suppose to use trays in the dark but that scares me and I don't have a darkroom. I would certainly recommend having a go before you buy and expect to spend a lot of time loading/unloading holders/developing and making a lot of mistakes :D

Trays would be bottom of my list.
Best way is a Jobo rotary with an expert drum :)
Taco method is OK although it uses a lot of chemicals.

Trays would be bottom of my list.
Best way is a Jobo rotary with an expert drum :)
Taco method is OK although it uses a lot of chemicals.

I agree but I use rodinal (1:100) so I don't use that much, I use a lot of fix but I only use LF in the holidays so its not to expensive. JOBO drums are sooo expensive!

One of the admins of the UK LF-Photo forum Liam linked to runs beginner courses now and then and I believe she's based in Southport.

I use a HP Combi-Plan Tank, it holds 6 sheets of 5 x 4 its light tight and allows daylight processing. Easy to load and easy to use if you don't have a lot of film to process.

I use an Ilford print drum. It will hold 4 4x5 negs in one go and doesn't require much in teh way of chemicals.

4x5 is great fun but does take a lot of time to set up.

Guess that's my fault for the title ;)

Mart

I'm just about to start, camera's bought. MPP Micro Technical. Seemed like a good idea at the time, we shall see :)
Anyone used a Patterson Orbital to develop? I have a 2x135/1x120 ordinary drum so I can use the taco method but thought the orbital may be easier?
Oh and if anyone has a 5x4 sheet that's useless for whatever reason, can I have it to practice loading holders?

Not tried it myself but the orbital has a lot of fans although I think you have to be really careful with agitation. Have a look at the US large format forum and APUG for more info.
I did have a load of useless sheets but have just chucked them out.

I have hundreds of sheets but I am at Uni at the moment or I would send them your way. When I first started I cut some paper/card to the right size and practiced with that.

Not tried it myself but the orbital has a lot of fans although I think you have to be really careful with agitation. Have a look at the US large format forum and APUG for more info.
I'll take a look tomorow, thanks. I have a whole day off :)

I did have a load of useless sheets but have just chucked them out.
Aw. Shame. Never mind, an alternative solution presents itself --->

When I first started I cut some paper/card to the right size and practiced with that.
Now that sounds like a plan. It's just to get my fingers used to the bits in the light, then in the dark. 5x4's not exactly cheap, anything that'll lessen my chances of botching a few has to be good :)

what size is 5x4 film ? is it exactly 5" x 4" ?

It's slightly smaller but each company seem to vary, but generally around 100x125mm

It looks very good but you need one of the big paterson developing tanks and you are going to use a hhuuuugggeee amount of chemicals.

Back