400 or 300?

make sure that it's not too old that you cant get spare's thats why i got rid of my old 400 not because it did not work butspares were had to get hold of for the older models.
i know a lot of snapper who use 400 and alot who use 300. as a 400 user i must admit that for footy its sometimes a bit tight but having said that if you at one end a 400 is better that a 300 for stuff at the other end of the field.
one last thing how much would it cost you to change because as i have said in other thread £1000 takes alot of pulling back and why change if you can get by with what you have got at the moment.
an other point why not keep what you have got and look at a pocket wizzard + wide lens and a extra 2nd hand body to put behind the goal
are running before you can walk ?

Having owned both I have now reverted back to the 300. If I still did football every week and mostly at prem stadiums I would say 400 is a must. Only time I miss it now is when at those stadiums that are also used for rugby. Hard one to call this so my advice would be to go with what you think the future holds but you may want to just wait and see how you get on with the 300 if starting with an agency.

Thats a 19 year old lens Phil and isnt serviced by canon anymore, parts would also be difficult to get hold of. not a good buy in my opinion.

make sure that it's not too old that you cant get spare's thats why i got rid of my old 400 not because it did not work butspares were had to get hold of for the older models.
i know a lot of snapper who use 400 and alot who use 300. as a 400 user i must admit that for footy its sometimes a bit tight but having said that if you at one end a 400 is better that a 300 for stuff at the other end of the field.
one last thing how much would it cost you to change because as i have said in other thread £1000 takes alot of pulling back and why change if you can get by with what you have got at the moment.
an other point why not keep what you have got and look at a pocket wizzard + wide lens and a extra 2nd hand body to put behind the goal
are running before you can walk ?

Some good advice there. I was just enquiring as I think I could pretty much change at very little cost. You're right about the parts issue and that's the thing putting me off to be honest.
As for getting another body I think you're right, that would be a better way of upgrading my gear. I have the radio triggers and a 17-40 so just need a decent cheap body for behind the goal.(y)

if gary is right canon will not stock the bits as i said before stick to what you have and see how you go.

If it was a Minolta and they did a 400 2.8, i say go for it. they DONT break. just had a brick chimney fall on my 26 year old 70-210, still going strong.

i know 400's cost a fortune, but they certainly would help if your at the wrong end of 3 goals! Not only that , but think of the stock/managers/dejection shots you can achieve with that extra reach

I've got a mk1 Canon 400 2.8 bought for a similar amount. It is a stunning lens and another league up on the 300.

I concur with the previous poster - Ive had shots published of goals at the other end where you need to crop in a good amount so need max IQ (no extenders). Manager shots are also prime hunting ground.

Also, you can stick a 1.4x on and get 560mm which is serious length.

Well worth it in my view - get a well looked after one and you're sorted.

I've got a mk1 Canon 400 2.8 bought for a similar amount. It is a stunning lens and another league up on the 300.

I concur with the previous poster - Ive had shots published of goals at the other end where you need to crop in a good amount so need max IQ (no extenders). Manager shots are also prime hunting ground.

Also, you can stick a 1.4x on and get 560mm which is serious length.

Well worth it in my view - get a well looked after one and you're sorted.

How old is your 400 mate?

I bought my 400mm off Snapzz last year and I wouldn't swap it for the world. Yes it's old and yes it's heavy, but it's reach is ideal for rugby and it's great for football too.

If only they could make a ladies version then I might actually be able to pick it up!

Keep an eye on Willen trading Phil, in the last month or so theyve had a 400mm IS and a 500mm IS for under £4,000, they were Canon refurbs.

Its more a case of want. But at times I've found myself need one :LOL:

What are you shooting this weekend Phil,

I don't think I'll be using mine as I'm shooting some Quad racing up in Scotland. If you want to borrow it to try it out ?

If you bend it though you buy me a replacment.

Possibly not Phil. Remember that was 10 months ago and prices have lifted by about 20% since then.

Back