400D and a 100-400 L lens

Name
mike
Edit My Images
Yes
Simple question really, i use a 75-300 IS lens at the moment with a 400D.
i am thinking about a 100-400 IS L lens to replace the 75-300
Would i see any real difference ?, would the rather steep price tag be worth it?:thinking:
any thought or help much appriciated

mike

Yep you should notice a big difference in:

1) Build quality (L series lenses are brilliantly designed and made).
2) Image quality (very good quality glass means great image quality and colour).
3) Price (yep, they cost a fortune).

L series is definatly worth the extra cash, i'm never going to buy a lens that doesn't have a nice big red L after the name again :D

Not used the 100-400 but alot of people do, it's a very popular lens and very good quality.

Got the 100-400L on Friday, only had chance to go uot with it once so far, but would say yes it's worth it, the IQ I got with it was spot on.

some people cant get on with because of the push pull way it operates.. and iv heard that theres issuse with it putting extra dust on the sensor because of that..

Still.. id like one too..

If you make the jump and go for the 100-400L you won't regret it for one moment :D I've only ever been thrilled with the results I get from mine. I agree the push-pull mechanism does take a little while to get used to but it very soon becomes second nature :)

Expensive - Yes
Worth the money - Hell Yes!!

Many thanks for the advice, i did wonder if the 70-200 IS L with a 1.4 convertor might be a better buy since it would give me a bigger range

errr the 70-200 with the 1.4 would give you (approx) 100-280. That's less range than the 100-400 mate :shrug:

some people cant get on with because of the push pull way it operates.. and iv heard that theres issuse with it putting extra dust on the sensor because of that..

Thats the main reason(s) I went for the 70-200 f/2.8 + 2x TC
There are a lot of people that swear by them though (100-400)

Many thanks for the advice, i did wonder if the 70-200 IS L with a 1.4 convertor might be a better buy since it would give me a bigger range

Yeah as Grendel said, it's less range.

A 2x converter will give you 140-400 though. Bear in mind you loose a few apature stops with teleconverters.

Although the 100-400L is undoubtedly a far superior lens to the 70-300 in most aspects, don't expect to be totally blown away but any increase in image quality. That's not to say that the 100-400 isn't a very good lens because it is, but the 70-300 is also pretty damn good. I found the biggest drawback to the 70-300mm to be the focus speed and the fact that the barrel turns whilst focusing making the use of a CPL tedious to say the least.
Below are a couple of pictures taken using this lens. You may not be impressed but try to look past my questionable skill. I thought it produced images with good colour rendition and sharpness especially given the price.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h12/ruddlesrules/Clock.jpg

Bug.jpg

possibly some confusion in this thread twix 70-300mm and 75-300mm...

Lots of people say this, but don't listen to them. They are probably not talking from personal experience, but probably just repeating things they've heard elsewhere.

1. The push-pull might seem a bit strange the first time you use it. But after a very small amount of practice you quickly come to appreciate that it is far, far superior to a twist-ring zoom. Two reasons. One, it becomes intuitive, almost telepathic. Push the lens towards the subject too zoom in, pull it away from the subject to zoom out. You don't have to even think about it. Two, your left hand is always in the correct position under the lens to support it. You never miss a shot.

I think this myth was probably started by people who'd picked one up, thought it felt a bit strange, and didn't put in the very small amount of effort required to try it out properly.

2. The 100-400 is by far the most popular wildlife lens we have at LensesForHire, and we've had many customers take them to dusty places like Kenya. Results: No noticeable dust within any of the lenses.

I think this myth was started by people who looked at the mechanism and thought the design would mean it would probably suck dust in - i.e. a theoretical comment rather than a practical one.

possibly some confusion in this thread twix 70-300mm and 75-300mm...

I admit it. t'is I :bonk::exit:

Sorry about that folks. In my defence I do spend most of my time totally confused about everything (I think:shrug:) so nothing new here :nuts:.

My experience is that I do get dust on the sensor after using the 100-400L. Not much and nothing that a quick blast with the rocket blower won't sort out - but it does happen.

Certainly nothing to worry about and doesn't make me think twice about using it.

A cracking lens and I wouldn't be without mine.
This was taken from a car window yesterday at West Midland Safari Park at full 400mm zoom
98411449.jpg

I've left the original up for the time being if you want to look at 100% crop.

I got one a little while ago. Great lens, never off the camera (y)

has anyone got a pic of this on a 400d?

I could take one for you if you really want to see it. Beverley, my partner, has a 400D and I have a 100-400 so I could pair them up for you :D Oooh I've come over all Cilla like :)

I have been using a 100-400 on a 5D for a while, great fun but heavy;- bean bag, good tripod.
Use my 28-200 USM for happysnapping.
Jim

I've hired a 100-400L from Stewart. Its with me at the moment and I'm keeping it until next Monday when it goes back.

The push-pull is intuitive. It had been years since I used a push/pull lens (about 20!). Tensioning to suit your feel is easy - from loose to stiff with a quick twist. Took about an hour to get used to me.

Image quality - still downloading photos but from first impressions. I reckon in terms of colour and contrast out of my camera, its better than my Sigma 100-300 f4 - itself a good lens. Sharpness - hard to say - equal I guess. In terms of focussing speed (motorsport) I'd say the Sigma just pips it - especially in poor light - the constant f4 helps - its always between half a stop to a full stop faster than the Canon - but less range. Its lighter than the Sigma as well.

Lots of people say this, but don't listen to them. They are probably not talking from personal experience, but probably just repeating things they've heard elsewhere.

1. The push-pull might seem a bit strange the first time you use it. But after a very small amount of practice you quickly come to appreciate that it is far, far superior to a twist-ring zoom. Two reasons. One, it becomes intuitive, almost telepathic. Push the lens towards the subject too zoom in, pull it away from the subject to zoom out. You don't have to even think about it. Two, your left hand is always in the correct position under the lens to support it. You never miss a shot.

I think this myth was probably started by people who'd picked one up, thought it felt a bit strange, and didn't put in the very small amount of effort required to try it out properly.

2. The 100-400 is by far the most popular wildlife lens we have at LensesForHire, and we've had many customers take them to dusty places like Kenya. Results: No noticeable dust within any of the lenses.

I think this myth was started by people who looked at the mechanism and thought the design would mean it would probably suck dust in - i.e. a theoretical comment rather than a practical one.

has anyone got a pic of this on a 400d?

I could take one for you if you really want to see it. Beverley, my partner, has a 400D and I have a 100-400 so I could pair them up for you :D Oooh I've come over all Cilla like :)

Here you go then :) Appologies for the poor pic quality, taken in my lounge with crapper than crap lighting :shrug:

100-400on400Da.jpg

100-400on400Db.jpg

100-400on400Dc.jpg

Im looking at getting this lens to use on the 400D but will be using it with the Kenko Pro300 1.4 TC. This should eliminate any risk of dust getting to the sensor and give extra reach to 560mm. my question is .. will image quality suffer much? i know I lose 1 fstop but for the reach, its gotta be worth it.

Gary

I thought that was on the 2x not the 1.4x, but I may be wrong, works ok with the 70-200L f4 IS

Thanks for the replys guys. i note with some trepidation the size of the lens on the 400D, i do have the grip fitted, so guess it wont look so unbalanced.

A thought i did have was, does one need a licence to carry this in public as it looks like it could cause some serious injury lol :bonk:

Here you go then :) Appologies for the poor pic quality, taken in my lounge with crapper than crap lighting :shrug:

Thanks Grendel
Have just ordered one myself so nice to see what it will look like on my 400d:D

Not a bad lens i tried one with the 70-200 mm f2.8 and 400mm f5.6 and decided to keep them both then the 100-400. Ok more expensive route as you need either 2 bodies, or keep swaping lenses. The 70-200mm f2.8 is just as good with a 2x tc as the 100-400 and murders its with out. In good light you'l be happy though, in low light the af will be slower ***.

Thanks for the replys guys. i note with some trepidation the size of the lens on the 400D, i do have the grip fitted, so guess it wont look so unbalanced.

A thought i did have was, does one need a licence to carry this in public as it looks like it could cause some serious injury lol :bonk:

LOL
The lion pic was taken on Sunday at West Midland Safari park. At one point I had a car swerve a long way around us as I had the lens sticking out the window :D

Back