400d is so annoying ...

Edit My Images
Yes
I have a 400d and it (not me) takes great photos. However, I'm constantly finding that the carefully chosen settings for a shot or sequence of shots is ruined because my cheek presses against the selection buttons and changes key settings such as ISO (especially when in portrait orientation).

For instance , I recently took a bunch of photos on what I thought was ISO100 only to find out that it had changed to ISO1600:thumbsdown:. I also recently carefully set up the camera to take pictures of a Steam special that was due - after it had passed, I looked at my photos and found I had taken them in B&W by mistake (fortunately, I always use raw and so this was fixable).

I have several other examples too - I can't select my focus point because I have pressed one of these buttons and selected, perhaps, White Balance settings, so I'm changing the WB rather than focus point, and therefore miss my picture.

Does anyone have similar experiences with their camera? Is it just me? Is it just the 400d? I would love a button that 'locks' your general settings so you can alter the fine details in a hurry and without fear!

I use my left eye and can't say I've had any of these problems.

Do you really need to press your face so hard against the camera? Perhaps its just a matter of learning not to :shrug:

Neil

Yep, ive had this problem, i was shooting Nickelback a few weeks ago, lead singer came up to my camera, screamed into the lens, was shooting at iso 100 and got darkness!

Luckily that was my last show with the 400d, moved to Nikon a few days before that and havnt had any problems since! :)

Thanks for the tips - I use my right eye but I don't feel like I press my face hard against the camera.

I think the eyepiece extender will have the effect of distancing me from the camera, but it may be worth a go. As for Nikon, :puke: (only joking, but I've invested so much in Canon already ...)

Another side effect of the way I use my camera is that I get face grease all over the LCD display, and I'm constantly wiping it clean. I must just simply be sweaty and deformed!

Try sticking the camera on a tripod!

To be honest, I never have those problems. Mine are more related that as a spectacles wearer I can't see all the info in the bottom of the frame unless i look from an angle (and then I cant see how i've framed the image properly).

Did the kids call you dumbo at school? Big nose and flappy ears? That could be affecting things? ;)

I am naturally use my left eye and occasionally press things i dont want to. I have just learnt not to press my face so hard against the camera. I am slowly training myself to use my right eye though.

Back