400d zoom which one?

Edit My Images
Yes
i have the kit lens (non IS), nifty 50 and 17-55 2.8 for the camera but want to get something longer.

I am looking at the 55 - 250 (best price about £150), or the 70-300 or 70-200 (only £15 difference and around £330)

i like the price of the first, the reach of the second and the quality of the third:wacky:

I'll be taking a variety of stuff, kids indoors and out, a few of gardens (such as kew) etc.

I'm finding it hard to make a decision! A few morsels of advice from the TP massive would go down a treat.

cheers

pobs

IMHO on of the best non L zooms that Canon produce is the 70-300 f4.5-5.6 USM IS. It was the first zoom I bought and I've always been impressed with the results it produces. Have a look at the review here. It's not the cheapest lens you could buy but it's worth every penny :)

i used a 70-300 for an afternoon and got some goodahotswith it. was just wondering whether anyone thought that the IQ and or build of the 70-200 would trump it?

Yeah it will beat it on both. L series lenses have excellent build quality and super sharp image quality. The 70-200 f/4 is very good quality.

If your worried about the length then you can always get a 1.4x or 2x extender.

70-200 F4L - a really great buy. If you decide you want to sell you won't lose much either! Speak to Ian Kerr for a great price (on any of your lenses).

I had the f4L and found that I wanted faster so sold it for a £10 loss after 12 months use and bought the 70-200 f2.8L IS.

Although the 70-300 IS is a nice lens it''s just too slow on the long end. IS only really helps more when you are shooting static subjects......

Can't beat the L for contrast, colour and general IQ. Once you have the L bug, prepare to become an Lcaholic.

Back