40D 450D or 400D

Edit My Images
Yes
Just came into a few bob today, dosh I've been expecting from a insurance claim due to a health problem. Anyways wife said I could have a wee treat to myself....go and look at a new camera if you want.

Ok now the deal, as I will be retiring in the next year or two and I my (wifes);) kitchen will be getting gutted for a refit Iso Iwon't have this chance again.
I currently have a Canon300D rest of kit is in my profile, I could afford a Canon40D but I really need to be honest with myself and can I justify spending that amount on a camera. I don't take photos professionally ie weddings etc, just now and again, grandkids, maybe on a day out or I take myself out somewhere for the day trying to improve my skills (which aint much), if it's raining I am not going to be out in it and my camera would be covered up weather resistant or not, digicIII & 14 bit will I really see any difference in IQ ?

I think I've half decided that 650-700 quid is a lot of dosh for a 40D camera. I thought of waiting until the the new 450 comes out but what's new on it that will convince me to wait, DigicIII from what I've read is that I won't see much difference in IQ, granted shots may be a bit faster in getting written to the memory card but hey! I think I can wait a few milliseconds more on the older processor on the 400D. Live view on the 450D if it is there, I can't honestly see me holding the camera up in a P&S position with a big lens viewing a scene for a shot, good for the tripod though. Rumors of a movie mode? I'm not interested in, I'd buy a movie camera for movies. possible ISO 3200 mode, still probably get noise and finally possibly price range pretty much near the current 40D price.

Should I just go out now as the sales are on bite the bullet and get a 400D?

So Ladies and gents by now I think you might have guessed I'm pretty undecisive here and hoping I can find someone who will at least part agree with me rather than just telling me go for the more expensive while you can cos I'm not used to having this opportunity on my meagre earnings and still being on sick pay after 10 weeks, heart attack keeps me off work.

dont forget the 400D has a common fault... that seems to happen on many but i like the 400D u dont need more fancy stuff if ur only doing casual photography :)

Sounds like you made your mind up Frank. ;)

Seriously... buying the best isn't always the best advice for everyone. Would you see a difference in your images with the 40D? If you're a discerning photographer and know what you're looking for, I reckon you will, but it's not night and day.

Get the camera you want . ;)

dont forget the 400D has a common fault... that seems to happen on many but i like the 400D u dont need more fancy stuff if ur only doing casual photography :)

Err maybe I've missed it but can you enlighten me on the common fault and has it happened to you?

I reckon the 400D is a good enough upgrade, though you (may not) have missed out the 30d. It provides a lot of the features of the 40d but at a much lower price! I'm in the same boat as you, except I don't have any money! ^_^

the spring in the mirror broke, causing mostly black photo's unless i use manual focus, and judging by the net it seems a common fault, mine has gone away to be fixed now, there is another thread on this somewhere on here :)

Thats an interesting comment on the 400D fault. At the moment i'm torn between getting a 350D and a 400D (relegate my 300D to 2nd). Just can't decide.

I would advise Frank to really consider the options. Remember that once you have spent the money its gone. But also you should get a camera that you can grow into. Retiring next year might mean that you can throw more time into your photography and then wish you had the 40D.

I heard someone say the other day, "Buy cheap, buy twice"
Or something along the lines of that.
If it were me, I would definitely get the 40D. Granted its bigger and heavier than the 400D, but I've had many a go with the 40D and all the lenses sigma and canon can throw at you, and going back to my 350D, I feel slightly disappointed.

I shouldn't think there would be much difference between the 400d and the 450d, given that there isn't much difference between the 350d and the 400d.
Maybe a few megapixels and some upgraded features.
If I'm honest, the 400D is pretty sufficient, and you can use the money saved to get yourself some nice glass. But in an ideal world, why settle for second best ;)

400D doesn't have a common fault. Its just happened to Ashers. I know lots of people who have 400D's and they are very pleased with it.

However. I'd look at a 40D and consider it, maybe you could even find a 30D.

Hi there,
I was in the same boat (without the windfall) the other day. My 300D packed up on Christmas eve, was thinking of upgrading anyway, but couldn't reallt justify the spend until I realised that I'd have nothing to use over christmas except a very knackered powershot.

Took the plunge and shot down to our local Jessops, and even though it was packed, the guy in there spent ages of time going throught the "differences" between the 400D, the 30D and the 40D. To be brutally honest, I went in there intending to walk out with the 40D, the sales guy was really plugging the 400D (he had one) - but when it came down to it, I couldn't really justify spending £699.
Was really tempted with the 400D which was a good deal as well, but like the 300D it was a bit on the small side. The 30D is bigger, feels more solid, and compared to the 300D is in a league of it's own. Definitely the right choice for me.

If you've got a decent camera shop or a jessops locally, get down and have a play with them, it might just help you decide. You kind of implied that you don't feel you're a good enough tog to justify an expensive camera, but you are going to have plenty of free time in the not too distant future, and it's be a shame if 6 months in you wished you'd gone for the extra buffer size etc.

Just had a look at that tesco link above as well - The 30D in Jessops was £549 with 18-55mm lens

The 400D isn't a huge upgrade on the 300d, I reckon you'd always be feeling that you could have/should havedone better if you buy it. If you can afford the 30d it's a cracking camers and certainly a big step up from the 300, I made that move myself and don't regret it for an instant.

err, just realised I forgot to actually mention that I bought the 30D on Christmas eve. Like Steep says, no regrets at all. Only problem I had was that the old Rawshooter Essentials software doesn't seem to support the new RAW format, so I'm stuck with using Canon Software till I find something else to use instead.

Going uptown Saturday to have a play with them at the shop...BTW my wife says you lot are terrible people for persuading me to spend a lot of money, she cant quite understand why a little throwaway camera wont do. :LOL:

In much the same way that a paper mache' kitchen won't do I expect :)

Just back from town and I would like to say a big thank you to all you guys for your advice etc. I ended up getting the 40D and it so happened that a ef s 17-85 IS usm was attached to the demo model. Compared to my 300D I was seriously impressed with the both of them so I got that too.

Now I'm off to play with my new toys....thanks again guys have a pint on me.

In much the same way that a paper mache' kitchen won't do I expect :)

He He :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Wifes just do not understand about toys and man flu. Regards Jim

Im currently using the 300D also and ave also been looking at the said named cameras, to be honest was mainly looking at the 400D because couldnt really afford the 40D.
From reading the above replies is the 30D that much better than the 400D and what makes it so as may go for this 1 and a decent lens for it.

I had the 400 in my hand this morning and it did'nt feel right, nothing to do with the performance of the camera but the 40D although larger in size felt more balanced and comfortablle to hold. It feels more comfortable to hold than the 300D, good thing is I get to keep the extra batteries from the 300D. All I've got to do now is get used to all the new bells and whistles on it.

The reason I decided to go for the 40D was what a lot of the guys on here advised, also I was fortunate with a windfall that allowed me to afford the 40D. I bit the bullet now cos I know in the future I could'nt afford another new one, so this one will do me until I kick the bucket.:LOL:

I couldn't (sadly) afford the 40D but managed to stretch for the 30d - As well as being more solid, performance wise it's in a different league to the 400D.

For me it was the fast 9fps shooting with huge buffer, the instant start up time (something the 300D was very poor at) and the spot metering which was missing on the 400D.
I was also led to believe that the shutter on the 30D is good for 100,000 actuations whereas the 400D is akin to the 10,000 of the 300D but this may not be correct.

All I need to do now is try and take some decent pics with it....

have a look at the reviews here

http://atinyblip.wordpress.com/eos-30d-vs-400d-a-comparison/
http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24758

Back