40d - 5d classic

Edit My Images
No
Im seriously thinking about the 5d classic as an upgrade as i move from studio into wedding photography.
The 40d has served me well in the studio but i dont feel 100% confident about it as a wedding camera. I dont feel it has the highest dynamic range around nor the iso performance though it is very capable.

I wanted to hear from people that have moved from the 40d to a 5d or those that have used both.

I have read too many conflicting reports about no difference or a huge difference in IQ, would trust opinions here a bit more i guess.

Is there a noticeable improvement in iq, dynamic range etc Im not too fussed about it being a bit awkward to use unless its a real pain in the ass but im very much interested in image quality.
My style is very sharp and im not into soft blurry dreamy stuff at all so i would hope the 5d would suit it
Lenses are L glass.

I owned a 400D for a couple of years, then I borrowed a friends 40D for a weekend, and I used it at a wedding, this is what made me realise I wanted to upgrade.

I decided to go with the 5D Mk1 in the end, and I don't regret my choice. The 5D feels a little dated, the LCD is small and not particularly good, and the lack of automatic sensor cleaning is quite annoying, but you soon forget about that when you see the images that it produces.

I would say it is a very worthwhile upgrade.

I moved from a 40D to a 5D, and used both but once I got the 5D the 40D really took a back seat, IQ was superior imo, and just an all round nicer camera I prefered FF to crop aswell.
The only issue's I ever had with it was as others will probably confirm, AF can be a bit hit and miss and the LCD is lacking so I always just shot using the histogram, but those couple of gripes I could easily live with.
I would still have the 5D now were it not for the fact I wanted something more compact & light.

thanks, what lenses did you use with it and which did you find best?

I moved from a 40D to a 5D, and used both but once I got the 5D the 40D really took a back seat, IQ was superior imo, and just an all round nicer camera I prefered FF to crop aswell.
The only issue's I ever had with it was as others will probably confirm, AF can be a bit hit and miss and the LCD is lacking so I always just shot using the histogram, but those couple of gripes I could easily live with.
I would still have the 5D now were it not for the fact I wanted something more compact & light.

And having just upgraded from a 400D to Scraggs' old 5D I have to say that the whole shooting match is just so much better. I've used a 40D but not a lot and not that recently so can't comment on IQ but from the examples I've seen from others the 5D seems to be nicer.

thanks, what lenses did you use with it and which did you find best?

It spent most of it's life with the 24-70 f2.8L on it, but also 16-35 f2.8L, 70-200 f2.8 siggy, and I used it with a 100-400L rarely, the 24-70 was a lovely combination, the only one it wasn't great with was the 100-400L it was a bit slow to AF but that was at an airshow and the 5D is more suited to portraiture, weddings and landscape imo, that said I still got some decent shots but had the light been bad it would have really struggled.
Imo it's a great camera with most decent fast glass, if I were to ever go back to a dslr I would probably hunt me another 5D out.

thats good, have you used any primes with at all, i was thinknig of also getting the sigma 50mm 1.4 with it, have the 24-70 as well.

99% ditto here too. Less than greatly troubled by the LCD or AF but hugely impressed by the improvements that come with FF.

Still got mine and compared to the other FF bodies in Canon's range regard it as superb value for money.

thats good, have you used any primes with at all, i was thinknig of also getting the sigma 50mm 1.4 with it, have the 24-70 as well.

The only prime I tried it with was my helios 85 1.5 which was fine but was MF.
Plenty of people use them with primes, I have seen some stunning results with the 135 f2 & 85 f1.2, try doing a search on flickr to give you an idea

I had the 40D and 5D... In the end, I ditched the 5D in favour of the 7D and the 40D's still in my camera bag. As much as I liked the old 5D, I just couldn't get settled with it and found my 40D to be a far more 'user friendly' camera.

There's also nothing wrong with using the 40D for weddings... All of mine have been shot on it with no worries about image quality. I would say a jump from the 40D to the 5DMKII would be a better option unless most of your lenses are EF-S.

Regards,
Si

AF can be a bit hit and miss

I am also contemplating a move and this is a big worry, particularly with 24-70mm lens. 40D makes stupid mistakes with it, will 5D fare better? I would so want to test a few bodies out properly before making the decision. The alternatives would be 1-series, or 5D2 that I can't afford.

Hi mate, i know the 40d is a capable camera, im really not 100% on it for weddings but i know it can be done, i just end up thinking that it would be even better on a 5d, which is the point really.

most 5d images ive looked at are superior to the 40d. therefore you will get better pics off the 5d all other things being equal. all imo of course :)

I had the 40D and 5D... In the end, I ditched the 5D in favour of the 7D and the 40D's still in my camera bag. As much as I liked the old 5D, I just couldn't get settled with it and found my 40D to be a far more 'user friendly' camera.

There's also nothing wrong with using the 40D for weddings... All of mine have been shot on it with no worries about image quality. I would say a jump from the 40D to the 5DMKII would be a better option unless most of your lenses are EF-S.

Regards,
Si

I also had a 40D (now upgraded to 7D). I was lucky enough to acquire a 5D classic just before Christmas. The 7 is used only for Sport and very low light stuff. The 5 coupled with the Canon 50mm 1.4 is now my favourite set up. Sometimes use the 24-105. Very very happy with the results.

Hi mate, i know the 40d is a capable camera, im really not 100% on it for weddings but i know it can be done, i just end up thinking that it would be even better on a 5d, which is the point really.

most 5d images ive looked at are superior to the 40d. therefore you will get better pics off the 5d all other things being equal. all imo of course :)

Hi,

I guess I'd better qualify my earlier statement...

Both cameras are more than capable of shooting outstanding wedding images (as long as you're capable). I agree that the 5D has the edge in terms of outright image quality but in terms of printed output via wedding albums, prints etc, there's little to choose between them unless you plan on handing over an A3 sized album ;). Quite a few wedding shooters are switching to the mRAW and sRAW settings of their cameras because they don't need huge files to start with. It's not something I particularly agree with but I can see the logic behind it... In my case, I have an 18mp camera and I'd like to use 'em all! :)

If you really want to go full-frame, I'd hold fire and put the difference towards a 5DMKII. Then you'll have all of the benefits and none of the drawbacks of its older sibling.

Regards,
Si

If you don't feel confident with a camera that's a bad thing. Especially at weddings.

You can pick up a good 5D body for around £750, maybe cheaper. I have a 5D and it's a good camera, It gets used on a regular basis even though it shares a bag with a 1Ds111.

You could opt for a MK 2 but do you really need a 21Mp camera for your work ? Image quality of the 5D won't give you any cause for concern.

Lenses 24-70, but don't forget the 24-105. OK it's a slower lens but does have IS .

I have just purchased a 5D to go with my 40D for weddings, the 40 will have my 70-200 2.8 so that i have some nice range and the 5 will have a 24-70 2.8 (when it arrives).

I have been using the 5D with nifty fifty for the last couple of weeks and i love the image quality and DOF that you get with FF.

My 40 will be sitting in my bag as a back up for most work now and will only be used when i need the extra reach (sport ect.) or 2 cameras at the same time (weddings and event)

Hi, thanks, any examples of good wedding images on the 40d? doesnt have to be your work, just anything.

Hi,

I guess I'd better qualify my earlier statement...

Both cameras are more than capable of shooting outstanding wedding images (as long as you're capable). I agree that the 5D has the edge in terms of outright image quality but in terms of printed output via wedding albums, prints etc, there's little to choose between them unless you plan on handing over an A3 sized album ;). Quite a few wedding shooters are switching to the mRAW and sRAW settings of their cameras because they don't need huge files to start with. It's not something I particularly agree with but I can see the logic behind it... In my case, I have an 18mp camera and I'd like to use 'em all! :)

If you really want to go full-frame, I'd hold fire and put the difference towards a 5DMKII. Then you'll have all of the benefits and none of the drawbacks of its older sibling.

Regards,
Si

Hi, thanks, any examples of good wedding images on the 40d? doesnt have to be your work, just anything.

Hi,

All of the images in the wedding gallery on my blog were taken on the 40D:

definitely digital

Whether they're good enough is for you to decide... I certainly haven't had any complaints from any of those couples (or anyone else who's seen them for that matter). :)

The 40D is extremely well built, very reliable and delivers consistently good results... Something the 5D is equally capable too - especially when it comes to image quality.

Si

Hi,
I had a 40D, still do because its good for sports stuff. However the 5D is much better in my opinion particularly in low light. This shot below was taken in very low light with a very 'lively' performer! Straight from the camera, no PP.

_MG_82630337.jpg

For portraits in better light it is outstanding, nice big clear viewfinder. Downsides are the small LCD and thats it really!

Dunc

Back