40D built-in flash and indoor shots advice...

bastic

A star
Name
Lukas
Edit My Images
Yes
Right...
I'm off on my hols again this year and I was asked by my ex-GF if I could shoot some photos of her indoors when we meet(portraits, nude and whatever she wants ;) )

I cannot afford myself to buy a flasgun at the moment...(unless I would one for less then 80-100quid? ) and I know that one would sort me out :bang:

And Im bit worried about WB....last time I shoot indoors on a home party, all my pics came orange'ish :thinking: And I dont want that to happen' this time:) (to be honest, I havent try to play with WB on them as they are in RAW:bang: )

So my main question is : will build-in flash combined with nifty do the job ? or shall I forget about flash, use natural light coming through the window and try to use longer exposure times?
Any advice is more then welcome.

If the images are in RAW then don't worry you can sort out the WB later. If they look orange on the camera check what you WB is set to. If it's auto go to daylight or similar. The surroundings may be confusing the cameras evaluation of the light quality.

If you can work with available light then that's great, however it can look a bit harsh. A fill in reflector would help. Alternatively you could use the on camera flash as a fill in, but it's difficult to balance the lighting ratio's this way. External flashes with adjustable output do make this sort of things a lot easier.

Personalty I'd do a bit of both, some available light some combined with flash. and some flash only. A quick check on the camera will tell you which is giving the best results.

On-board flash is going to give really un-flattering light. Use natural if you've got no alternative source. Get or make a reflector if you're planning on shooting indoors near a window, I think you'll be pleasantly suprised at how much you can achieve with minimal kit.

:agree:

You can use one of those silver windscreen sunshades from Poundland as a reflector if cash is tight. Given the weather just now I'd imagine they'll have plenty left :LOL:

Thanks for advice:)
I will look for this kind of reflector when I get on place as Im going abroad:)
And maybe I will post some nice pics when I get back to UK :)

If the images are in RAW then don't worry you can sort out the WB later. If they look orange on the camera check what you WB is set to. If it's auto go to daylight or similar. The surroundings may be confusing the cameras evaluation of the light quality.

You're going to run into difficulties if you try to mix direct, uncorrected flash light with ambient tungsten lighting. Even shooting raw, you cannot simultaneously choose a WB that will be correct for flash (~5600K) and tungsten (~3000k). I know. I've done it. It's a mistake. You get a nice warm background and a cold blue subject. If you correct one then the other turns to cack.

If you want to make things look right, colourwise, you will have to shoot with....

- ambient light only;

- direct flash as the dominant light source, leading to a dim abyss in the background;

- find a way to colour balance the flash, either with a CTO (colour temperature orange) gel or by bouncing off a warm toned surface - woodwork, perhaps.

Even just bouncing off anything (neutral white/grey) will at least allow the flash to illuminate the surroundings, thus reducing the temperature gap between the surroundings and the flash.

The right option really depends on your own goals for the image. Some people are OK with dark backgrounds and brightly lit subjects. If you want really good results then, personally, I'd forget the popup and shoot without flash if at all possible. You can get some pretty fine results at 1600 ISO from the 40D. Otherwise, swallow the cost to get a flash gun that will tilt and swivel.

However, I should hope that with the f/1.8 (or let's say f/2.0, to sharpen it a tad) from the nifty, plus a willing accomplice who is happy to remain still, plus a lowish shutter speed - e.g. 1/60 - and a suitable ISO you should hopefully be able to get what you need without flash. What you could try is to use the popup, but dial it back to -2 FEC so that it only provides a small catchlight in the eyes and the lightest fill to any shadows in the eye sockets, without creating a nasty imbalance of colour temperatures.

Here's an example at 1600 ISO taken with my 30D at f/2.8 and 1/60, to suck in some ambient light, and bounced flash (with a catchlight card) from my 580EX to given some sparkle to my subject. This was shot in raw and the only adjustments were to warm it up a fraction by adding 100K to the temperature, boost exposure by 0.2 stops and brighten the blacks/shadows a fraction. This has had no attempt at noise reduction during editing.

20080829_203256_3012_LR.jpg

By the way, I made more than my fair share of mistakes when shooting with flash in my early days, and still do. Here's a thread I started when I made an atrocious job of shooting a wedding (for a friend) with only a 30D, 17-85 lens and 580EX flash - http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=286091. Key lessons learned were....

- Set exposure manually for the ambient light to control how little or how much it contributes to the scene;

- If you mix high colour temperature from the flash with low colour temperature from tungsten then your shots will look like poo. A CTO gel will help no end (or whatever colour gel you need to match the flash to the ambient conditions);

- A slow lens is severely limiting. You don't want to set your ISO higher than you need, yet you must keep your shutter speed up and the only way to do that indoors is to hammer the scene with flash or use fast glass. f/2.8 is the minimum for wedding type shooting. f/1.8 or faster will often be better. In any case, a wide aperture lens is generally preferred for portraiture.

For more on flash techniques and how to balance ambient and flash illumination, check out this website - http://planetneil.com/tangents/. It is very good! :) See how he balances ambient and flash by "dragging the shutter", also known as slow sync flash.

You could always try to fashion your own diffuser/bouncer to see whether you can make magic from your popup. Take a look at this - http://www.adidap.com/index.php/2007/12/20/diy-poors-man-ring-flash/.

Thank you tdodd :clap:

It's a pleasure to help. I just hope I didn't confuse you. I've actually had some more thoughts about colour balance, and solutions if you run into troubles....

- If you have Photoshop then you could create separate layers to adjust colour balance separately for your flash lit subject and your tungsten lit background;

- If the colour is a real mess then convert to black and white :)

Another point about the popup, if you use it directly on your subject rather than trying to diffuse/bounce its light.... If you shoot in portrait mode then be prepared for ugly side shadows in the background, so if your subject is near to a plain wall the results will not look pretty. Try to find a distant, or well lit, or busy background, where the flash shadow will not be too obvious.

Back